Best Cities in the US to BRRRR?

Best Cities in the US to BRRRR?

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 4 votes

Hello, what are the best places to buy for the BRRRR? I've been looking a lot but it seems that all of the locations that cash flow well have pretty high crime ratings and aren't very good neighborhoods. I'm looking for a more middle class type investment property. Looking to spend 80k cash or less including rehab then BRRRR. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand.

4Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 149 posts · 193 votes
3y

A lot of investors from California have taken interest in the Ohio markets. I especially like the Columbus and Cleveland areas. Columbus is a good hybrid market for appreciation and cash flow, while Cleveland offers a lot of cash-flowing properties at lower price-points. I have a neighborhood grading scale for those areas that I like to use when analyzing properties, if you have any interest in those areas I'd be happy to connect and talk more. Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    3y

    Have you considered Kansas City?

    I'd be happy to connect if you would like to learn more about our market.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    The one where you have an unfair advantage.

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Scott Murillo I have been an out of state investor for over 15 years now and this question comes up a lot.  The answer is consistently the same - what city do you have trusted people in?  Meaning, when you invest out of state you place an ENORMOUS amount of trust into people with your asset.  You may never even SEE your asset.  You need trustworthy people in order to execute.  So if "City X" shows 2% more profitability than "City Y" but you know people in "City Y"....then your answer is "City Y".  Just one wrong move from an unscrupulous person can erase any small advantage that another city or location might hold.  Think about where you might know people and let's start there.

    Hope all of that makes sense. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 149 posts · 193 votes
    3y

    A lot of investors from California have taken interest in the Ohio markets. I especially like the Columbus and Cleveland areas. Columbus is a good hybrid market for appreciation and cash flow, while Cleveland offers a lot of cash-flowing properties at lower price-points. I have a neighborhood grading scale for those areas that I like to use when analyzing properties, if you have any interest in those areas I'd be happy to connect and talk more. Best of luck!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Murillo:

    Hello, what are the best places to buy for the BRRRR? I've been looking a lot but it seems that all of the locations that cash flow well have pretty high crime ratings and aren't very good neighborhoods. I'm looking for a more middle class type investment property. Looking to spend 80k cash or less including rehab then BRRRR. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand.


    I do a lot of BRRRRs in Ohio 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Murillo:

    Hello, what are the best places to buy for the BRRRR? I've been looking a lot but it seems that all of the locations that cash flow well have pretty high crime ratings and aren't very good neighborhoods. I'm looking for a more middle class type investment property. Looking to spend 80k cash or less including rehab then BRRRR. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand.

    Hi Scott, Columbus Ohio is a great place to do BRRRR. Specifically, there's job growth (Intel, Honda, Amazon, Nationwide, etc) and the population is growing (unlike Cleveland or Cincy). I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. Just this month, I've gotten under contract for my clients for multiple 20%+ cash on cash rental properties so there's definitely tons of opportunity here. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Scott Murillo
    I would recommend looking at the Cleveland market. There is solid cash flow and you might be able to pick up a Single-family BRRRR in that price range.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Murillo:

    Hello, what are the best places to buy for the BRRRR? I've been looking a lot but it seems that all of the locations that cash flow well have pretty high crime ratings and aren't very good neighborhoods. I'm looking for a more middle class type investment property. Looking to spend 80k cash or less including rehab then BRRRR. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand.




    Saw Cleveland was mentioned, per usual. Anytime you're here on BP looking for a low cost market Cleveland is usually one of the most popular markets of discussion.

    I've made millions with low income housing in Cleveland. Out of state investors come here and make money in low income housing every day............

    HOWEVER

    Just as many out of state investors lose their shirt investing in low income stuff here in Cleveland. As such, I highly recommend reading The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods before you decide to make a move into Cleveland. Reading the guide will help you to become the former instead of the latter.


  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    @Andrew Postell

    But what if you’re a beginner and don’t know anyone anywhere?

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    Start building network by using Facebook Groups  and going to meetups

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.