Accepted offer Dec 2020, close Jan 2021, claim income for 2020?

Accepted offer Dec 2020, close Jan 2021, claim income for 2020?

Flipper/Rehabber · Walled Lake, MI · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 4 votes

Just finished my first official flip and I accepted an offer on the house in December 2020. We won’t officially close until January of 2021. Is there any way I can claim the income on my 2020 taxes?

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    At a bird's eye view --

    Under cash method: No.

    Under accrual method: No. Risks and rewards of ownership have not transferred before 12/31.

    This is a good conversation for your CPA after you gain scale.  Particularly long-term contracts if you get involved in those.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Walled Lake, MI · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Eamonn McElroy

    Thanks for the info. I figured that would be the case. so many loopholes out there...sometimes you don’t know till you ask.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.