England UK property at auction with access owned by a 3rd party

England UK property at auction with access owned by a 3rd party

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Hi everyone,

I'm currently considering purchasing a property at auction to either flip or rent. It's in an extremely desirable country village in southern UK, 2 hours from London, previously a school building but with planning permission to convert it into a residential property. The potential could be huge but there's a catch.... The access to the property, a tiny country lane, is owned by an anonymous third party. 

Because I grew up next door (and estate agents aren't always discrete) we discovered that the access land owner is likely a near neighbour who may have bought the land specifically in order to eventually get a good deal on this property by scaring off other potential buyers and pushing the price down. Smart move. 

In the legal documents there are letters between the current owners (the school) and the lawyers of this land owner disputing this issue, I need to read them more carefully. Bearing in mind the auction is on the 11 SEPTEMBER, how tricky does this hurdle seem to you? Are there any legal precedents that turned out in the new buyer's favour? Should I run a mile?

I need urgent help to make a decision in time to participate in the auction! Or not as the case may be :) 

Thank you so much in advance!

Verity

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Kiryat Motzkin, Israel · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 159 votes
6y

@Verity Macdonald - I dont think you are going to get much traction for this query on BP. This site is primarily US focused. You might want to try : https://propertyhub.net/forum/ which is UK based- or better yet- consult with a local real estate attorney.  This looks to be a legal right of access issue.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    6y
  • Specialist · Kiryat Motzkin, Israel · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 159 votes
    6y

    @Verity Macdonald - I dont think you are going to get much traction for this query on BP. This site is primarily US focused. You might want to try : https://propertyhub.net/forum/ which is UK based- or better yet- consult with a local real estate attorney.  This looks to be a legal right of access issue.

  • Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 179 votes
    6y

    I agree with @Saul L.

    Propertyhub is a better option for you in the UK

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Thank you both so much, I will try there instead! 

  • Investor · Ontario · Member since 2015 · 486 posts · 250 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Saul L.:

    @Verity Macdonald - I dont think you are going to get much traction for this query on BP. This site is primarily US focused. You might want to try : https://propertyhub.net/forum/ which is UK based- or better yet- consult with a local real estate attorney.  This looks to be a legal right of access issue.


     Thanks for the forum Tip. I have been looking to connect with UK investors recently. Do you have any other forums that are UK based that you like? Thanks, Jason

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.