Does your CPA charge you for a few questions over email?

Does your CPA charge you for a few questions over email?

Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes

So recently, I was going to use a CPA for a corporate tax return. He outlined that book keeping was $45/hr and corporate tax would be $500, and any additional costs to file to USA would be determined later. I told him I am all new to this and pre-revenue at this moment and I'd like to ask a few questions and asked if I could count on him to help me through a little bit of book keeping and he encouraged me to ask some questions by ending with "If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask". Weeks go by, I ask about 4 questions throughout the span of 2 months. He then suspiciously asks for my corporate legal entity name and address then proceeds to send me a full page about "this is not how it works and I am going to take legal action against you if you don't pay this invoice of $210". He never outlined his consultation service costs, and I have not made any agreement/contract to take on his services. I did not know that these emails were going to be charged and I did not demand for him to answer these questions. I found a new CPA and he is charging me even less at $450 for the corporate return and told me that he won't charge for consultation at all and encourages me to ask questions. The new CPA even told me directly that he will not charge for asking questions and feel free to email him. I am currently disputing with the other CPA over emails about this charge, what do you guys think?

1Reply
82 views

Most Popular Reply

Linda WeygantPro Member
Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

I agree with @Basit Siddiqi - it's all relative.

I tell my clients that asking questions is generally free, if they send it in an email and it's not urgent and it doesn't require me to perform calculations or perform any research.  I prefer email questions because I can put off answering until I have time rather than having my work interrupted with a phone call.

For example, if a client asks "how does a 1031 exchange work", I can actually just copy/paste some information I have on hand about that and send it over and I don't bill for that kind of questions.  (That also comes with a referral to a great 1031 facilitator)

But if they say "I'm thinking about doing a 1031 on 123 Main St, how much would my tax liability be if I just sold it outright instead?", that's completely different.  I then bill out for answering that questions because I need to perform calculations and consider many different facets of their particular situation before I answer the question.  However, I do always let my client know when they've asked a billable question and make sure I have their consent before I start work.

I think what happened for the OP is that the questions were becoming too frequent and too time consuming (in the CPAs mind).  Or perhaps came on a deadline day or otherwise caught the CPA at a bad time.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Neither my CPA or Attorney charge me for an email or short phone call. 

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I always tell prospects that ask that question: "Assume everything is billable.  Sometimes I don't charge for an email or phone call at my discretion, but that is the exception to the rule, not the rule itself."

    Tax professionals, attorneys, etc.  Our time is how we make money.  If we didn't charge for emails and calls, for all clients (because it would have to be all clients to be fair right?), we would be working for free for a large chunk of the year.

    If you are a non-resident alien (I can't tell but I think you're hinting in your post), you'll want to make sure your CPA is well versed in the US tax obligations applicable to that fact pattern.  The penalties for even non-negligent non-compliance in this area are large.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Eamonn McElroy:

    I always tell prospects that ask that question: "Assume everything is billable.  Sometimes I don't charge for an email or phone call at my discretion, but that is the exception to the rule, not the rule itself."

    Tax professionals, attorneys, etc.  Our time is how we make money.  If we didn't charge for emails and calls, for all clients (because it would have to be all clients to be fair right?), we would be working for free for a large chunk of the year.

    If you are a non-resident alien (I can't tell but I think you're hinting in your post), you'll want to make sure your CPA is well versed in the US tax obligations applicable to that fact pattern.  The penalties for even non-negligent non-compliance in this area are large.

    Thank you for your response. In my circumstance, I sign a W-8 form with Amazon and I report my earnings with CRA. 

    I am arguing for the fact that if you were to pick up the phone, and intentionally hold a call for 2 hours and than say "hey, thanks for calling, I'm going to send you an invoice, and oh yeah, you don't know my rate and that I was charging you but the cost is now $210. Sir, what's your email?". Any consumer would feel a little cheated. Especially when I asked questions that didn't require much at all like "what is the vehicle mileage gas write-off rate? the answer is 58c". I could have found that myself, but it's always more direct answer from an accountant and because so many answers are mixed between Canadian and US search results, it really is easier to just ask an accountant for factual information.

    It's another thing if I were to say "can you help me calculate my cost of acquisition and total everything up, I need help with my gross revenue as well, can you also throw in net revenue? Let's also go over my business plan and model for tax planning and while I'm at it, why don't you just calculate everything? It's free right?". Okay, that's not free. 

    I get that "it's the exception to the rule and not the rule itself" but a little bit of good faith is normally expected. I have also asked the same question to some other forums and most people would agree that, small routine questions are uncharged for. So in my circumstance, I feel like it's warranted that I dispute his invoice with integrity.

  • Accountant · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    I would say you can assume most interactions are billable. It’s at the discretion of the practitioner to not bill certain work. But CPAs make money by selling their time. To boot, I’d say that $450-500 is fairly cheap for quality corporate tax services. Particularly with any foreign work involved. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    You changed CPA's over a $200 invoice... ???

    The one's I've known ALL charge for book keeping guidance.

    It's like going into the 7-11 and expecting free coffee and doughnuts because you fill up your car.

    It's part of what they "Sell" to make a living.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Tell that first CPA to F off. Ignore his letters and that of his attorneys, if they come. If he sues you in small claims court, show up, argue your case, and win. CPAs are turning into lawyers...and we all know how highly lawyers are esteemed.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    You changed CPA's over a $200 invoice... ???

    No, she probably changed CPAs over the bait-and-switch followed by a letter that threatened a lawsuit.

  • New to Real Estate · Las Vegas NV · Member since 2020 · 90 posts · 46 votes
    6y

    Ok, I am married to an accountant.  Sometimes a "quick question" can mean 2-3 hours to get the right answer.  BUT a good accountant would be up front about the time involved in answering something and if there would be a fee tacked on for it.  

    I've heard the phone calls with "just a quick question" take nearly an hour to get all the needed information.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Ming Ip

    Everything is relative - 

    Some accountant's charge a small flat fee for the return and expect to charge an hourly rate for answering questions.
    Some accountant's work on a monthly billing model where aslong as you pay the monthly fee, your return will be filed and you can ask unlimited questions.

    You get what you pay for at the end of the day. Accountant's know what value it is they bring.

    Also answers may seem to take 5 minutes to answers but you don't know if there is research involved on our end even for the simple questions.
    We have to make sure our answer is correct. If we provide an incorrect answer, you can potentially leave as a client or even sue.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I agree with @Basit Siddiqi - it's all relative.

    I tell my clients that asking questions is generally free, if they send it in an email and it's not urgent and it doesn't require me to perform calculations or perform any research.  I prefer email questions because I can put off answering until I have time rather than having my work interrupted with a phone call.

    For example, if a client asks "how does a 1031 exchange work", I can actually just copy/paste some information I have on hand about that and send it over and I don't bill for that kind of questions.  (That also comes with a referral to a great 1031 facilitator)

    But if they say "I'm thinking about doing a 1031 on 123 Main St, how much would my tax liability be if I just sold it outright instead?", that's completely different.  I then bill out for answering that questions because I need to perform calculations and consider many different facets of their particular situation before I answer the question.  However, I do always let my client know when they've asked a billable question and make sure I have their consent before I start work.

    I think what happened for the OP is that the questions were becoming too frequent and too time consuming (in the CPAs mind).  Or perhaps came on a deadline day or otherwise caught the CPA at a bad time.

  • Greg O'BrienBusiness Member
    Accountant · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 386 posts · 336 votes
    6y

    Agreed, depends on the CPA. 95% of our clients are on subscription so emails/calls are unlimited within our paremeters. More often than not, a prof service professional will charge you.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Linda Weygant:

    I agree with @Basit Siddiqi - it's all relative.

    I tell my clients that asking questions is generally free, if they send it in an email and it's not urgent and it doesn't require me to perform calculations or perform any research.  I prefer email questions because I can put off answering until I have time rather than having my work interrupted with a phone call.

    For example, if a client asks "how does a 1031 exchange work", I can actually just copy/paste some information I have on hand about that and send it over and I don't bill for that kind of questions.  (That also comes with a referral to a great 1031 facilitator)

    But if they say "I'm thinking about doing a 1031 on 123 Main St, how much would my tax liability be if I just sold it outright instead?", that's completely different.  I then bill out for answering that questions because I need to perform calculations and consider many different facets of their particular situation before I answer the question.  However, I do always let my client know when they've asked a billable question and make sure I have their consent before I start work.

    I think what happened for the OP is that the questions were becoming too frequent and too time consuming (in the CPAs mind).  Or perhaps came on a deadline day or otherwise caught the CPA at a bad time.

    I've outlined the differences as well in a reply to another comment. I asked him such questions like "write off vehicle rate, the answer is 58c/km". He was definitely out of line, and my cousin is a small business lawyer and sent him a letter. Pointed out that baiting people at the end of letters by saying "feel free to let me know if you have anymore questions" and not pointing out his consultation costs, and 1 of his answers were incorrect in the emails that I am not to be charged and is a disputed invoice. The CPA has decided not to charge me and that was that. 

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    You changed CPA's over a $200 invoice... ???

    The one's I've known ALL charge for book keeping guidance.

    It's like going into the 7-11 and expecting free coffee and doughnuts because you fill up your car.

    It's part of what they "Sell" to make a living.

    He was out of line. He switched on me, after saying "please let me know if there is are any other questions I can help you with". Then sent me a $210 invoice without telling me his consultation costs, and threatened legal trouble. My cousin is a small business lawyer, and he sent him a letter about what he did wrong and that this invoice is disputed and that I am not to be charged. The CPA ended up not charging me and that was that. Happy ending 😎

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Sorry for resurrecting the topic but I have kind of a similar question. Is it normal practice for CPA to charge for making an appointment with me (i.e. not the appointment itself, but putting a meeting on the Google Calendar) or for making an invoice for the services he performed? To me, it's like Safeway charging me for the cashier services, and having a "Bananas $1.5, Receipt printing $1, Total of $2.5".

    More particularly with an $80 hourly rate, he charged $20 for "sending out initial meeting invite" and stated (eventually) that invoice preparation costs $40. There were more unjustified (IMO) changes on the actual work performed, but these stood out for me. Also, there was a 5% "overhead costs fee" which looks pretty weird to me, though it was on the engagement letter. It is like if Software Engineer charged a client because he used his laptop and standard software. Why not just charge $84?

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    @Larry Belt

    I don't consider this practice normal. But neither do I consider $80/hr normal, I consider it to be very low.

    Whatever the charges are, the key for me is whether they were disclosed and agreed upon. If they were clearly stated, and you proceeded to work with this CPA, then you essentially agreed to pay these fees. At least his overhead fee was in this category, as you mentioned. 

    If the fees were not previously disclosed, then maybe it's a problem. I recommend to always start by bringing it up to the CPA himself. Maybe there's some miscommunication that can be easily fixed.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Depends on what the engagement letter says and how the firm operates. 

    I worked for CPA firms that billed hourly for ALL work. So if an hour of my day was just "answering quick questions for clients" and not putting it down as billable. 

    I'd look bad. In tax firms often your raises/ bonus/ ect  (like many jobs) are based on your profitability. So having it look like I did 7 hours of work vs. 8 was not great. 

    Now, the Parnter/Manager can write that time off (Chose to not charge the client)- if it's a good client they often would. 

    But as mentioned above the starting point is if you're hiring someone for their skill/time- assume you pay for such. 

    At this point now that I have a firm it's structured where it's inclusive- and it's so we don't deal with this pain point and can plan/communicate without surprise billings later. 

    But a lot of firms don't do inclusive pricing- and so time= billing. 

    Examples of things I think firms would / woudln't charge for: 

    Wouldn't:

    How much gain can I exclude if me and my husband sell our primary home we've been in/owned for 6 years?

    vs. 

    Would Charge: 

    I have lived in a primary home with my husband for 1 year. My husband bought it 25 yaers ago. We spent 2 of those years living oversears before we moved back into it. It was rented while we were over seas. Also the basement is an air bnb. He bought it for $185,000 and I think we can sell for $793,000 -Can you tell me how much gain we'll have?

      • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
        4y

        @Natalie Kolodij 

        "The scope of this engagement is to meet virtually over Zoom on an agreed-upon
        frequency and time, perform reasonable research, and provide consultative advice on the following
        topics:" then follow few topics I was interested in. "This engagement is limited to the professional services outlined above." Also in a different section: "We will perform our services in accordance with the American Institute of Certified Public
        Accountants (“AICPA”) Statements on Standards for Tax Services and Statement on Standards
        for Consulting Services." For the latter, I had no idea what these standards are but checked that the standard seemed legit and took a risk.

        I'm not disputing "small questions" must be paid as obviously, this is a part of the actual engagement. But scheduling a meeting with me as far as I see it is an obvious overhead and is not a part of "consultation". The same is for making an invoice or some sort of time tracking with notes on what the time was spent on. This is e.g. common practice in contract software engineering and I haven't seen bills or tracking is billed.

        Prior to the consultation I did the research on the topic and had particular pieces in the tax law which looked shady, and wanted a professional to take a look at them. But CPA without my questions insisted on getting the financial statements, charged a few hours on "analyzing" them, and as expected, it appeared irrelevant. Also, none of my questions involved computations. I guess accountability for the work done is a related but a different topic.

        @Michael Plaks What is the "usual" time-based consultation compensation range assuming prior research is not necessary? It's fine if CPA sees the questions the first time when the clock starts ticking.

        @Natalie Kolodij

      • Michael PlaksPro Member
        Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
        4y

        @Larry Belt

        There're no industry standards in what you're asking about. For example, in my firm it's an all-inclusive annual service, and we do not count questions or minutes or tasks. In other firms, you will be on the clock, but everyone has his/her own way to manage the clock.

        What's important and apparently was not done in your situation is a discussion of how the charges are done with this particular accountant and a common understanding upfront. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

      • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
        Moderator
        Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
        4y
        Originally posted by @Michael Plaks:

        @Larry Belt

        There're no industry standards in what you're asking about. For example, in my firm it's an all-inclusive annual service, and we do not count questions or minutes or tasks. In other firms, you will be on the clock, but everyone has his/her own way to manage the clock.

        What's important and apparently was not done in your situation is a discussion of how the charges are done with this particular accountant and a common understanding upfront. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

        Michael nailed it- is there a secondary document that listed out what that agreed upon frequency for discussions/ questions was?

      • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
        Moderator
        Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
        4y
        Originally posted by @Larry Belt:

        @Natalie Kolodij 

        "The scope of this engagement is to meet virtually over Zoom on an agreed-upon
        frequency and time, perform reasonable research, and provide consultative advice on the following
        topics:" then follow few topics I was interested in. "This engagement is limited to the professional services outlined above." Also in a different section: "We will perform our services in accordance with the American Institute of Certified Public
        Accountants (“AICPA”) Statements on Standards for Tax Services and Statement on Standards
        for Consulting Services." For the latter, I had no idea what these standards are but checked that the standard seemed legit and took a risk.

        I'm not disputing "small questions" must be paid as obviously, this is a part of the actual engagement. But scheduling a meeting with me as far as I see it is an obvious overhead and is not a part of "consultation". The same is for making an invoice or some sort of time tracking with notes on what the time was spent on. This is e.g. common practice in contract software engineering and I haven't seen bills or tracking is billed.

        Prior to the consultation I did the research on the topic and had particular pieces in the tax law which looked shady, and wanted a professional to take a look at them. But CPA without my questions insisted on getting the financial statements, charged a few hours on "analyzing" them, and as expected, it appeared irrelevant. Also, none of my questions involved computations. I guess accountability for the work done is a related but a different topic.

        @Michael Plaks What is the "usual" time-based consultation compensation range assuming prior research is not necessary? It's fine if CPA sees the questions the first time when the clock starts ticking.

        @Natalie Kolodij

         My CPA charges $250 an hour for billable hours.

      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.