Shared well question

Shared well question

Harrisonburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 29 votes

My home is served by a shared well, it's on my property and two other homes have rights to it.  I'd like to build a detached garage with an apartment above it.  Ideally, I'd run a water line from my basement out to the new building to supply it.  I've pulled the legal agreement to see how things are set up.  It reads "Now therefore in consideration of these premises each party shall pay 1/3 of the regular utility costs of operating the well.  Each party shall also pay 1/3 of the cost for repairing and maintaining the well.  The first parties (this would be me) grant to the second and third parties (the neighbors) an easement for the use, operation, maintenance, and repair of the well and the lines running from the well to the respective parties residences."

The way I read this, is it's my well, and I can run another bathroom off of it without having to change anything regarding this agreement or seeking the neighbors blessing/permission.  Does that sound right or am I off base with this?  Thanks for any help.

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    6y

    @Justin Knighten

    That sounds correct but you should still have an attorney review it in case there is some quirky state law

    For example if your neighbor built a 12 bed 12 bath home on the property should they only be responsible for 1/3 of the cost - as based on agreement the answer would be that is all they owe.

    I find when you are fair with people, it resolves most issues

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.