What's the quick and dirty on carrying forward tax deductions?

What's the quick and dirty on carrying forward tax deductions?

Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes

I'm building my real estate portfolio but have no traditional income. I will be getting a W2 job again in a few years, and wanted to know if I can carry over my unused deductions from previous years? Where can I find the specifics on what carries over and for how long it is eligible?

Thanks in advance.


0Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg O'BrienBusiness Member
    Accountant · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 386 posts · 336 votes
    6y

    Hi Tyler - do you mean passive activity losses?  What type of carryover losses are you referring to (capital, passive, charitable etc)?

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Tyler D.

    Other than @Greg O'Brien clarification question, I thought you might be asking about Net Operating Loss carryforward which I believe is in IRS Pub 536.  If you haven't had W2 income, I assume you have some other cash or 1099 business.  So, you have some active deductions / business costs.  If you are net negative income, you can carry forward those losses to future years.  I believe the TJCA stopped the carry back for 2017 and earlier.  Again, this is for "active" income/losses, and I'm not an expert at it.

    That being said, yes, some additional clarification on your end would be helpful to zero in an answer for you.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Tyler D.

    You should consult with your accountant to see what losses are carried forward to 2020.

    There are specific forms normally that keep track of losses that get carried forward.

    You can have potentially a NOL carryfoward, Capital loss carryforward or even passive loss carryforward.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Tyler D.

    The quick and dirty to this question? Here we go: Yes. Cannot make it any quicker or dirtier. ;)

    If you allow it to be just a little bit longer & cleaner: if your RE business generates what is known as a "net operating loss" - you can currently choose to carry it either 5 years back to 2015 or forward to 2021 and beyond.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.