Is my CPA charging too much for filing Umbrella LLC?

Is my CPA charging too much for filing Umbrella LLC?

Investor · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 4 votes

Hello Guys,

I have an umbrella LLC in neveda and I have 9 properties total that is included in this LLC. My CPA just billed me for $4650 for Tax preparation for management LLC. Isn't this too much?

Thank you in advanced guys!!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
6y

Charges generally relate to the complexity level of the filing and the experience/qualifications of the practitioner.

Therefore it's a little difficult to gauge based upon the limited info you have provided.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    6y

    Charges generally relate to the complexity level of the filing and the experience/qualifications of the practitioner.

    Therefore it's a little difficult to gauge based upon the limited info you have provided.

  • MBA, CFP®, EA · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 207 votes
    6y

    Depends on the value add and the complexity of the situation. No one can answer this without knowing the whole story. 

  • Lance LvovskyPro Member
    Accountant · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 753 votes
    6y

    @George Chung

    Depends on number of factors such as how good are your financial records (balance sheet, income statement), how many state returns there are, just to name a couple of the factors in play.

  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    Agreed! I think it really depends on the complexity of the situation and what you exactly need. It wouldn't hurt to get another opinion from another CPA.

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 290 posts · 233 votes
    6y

    George, how much was it last year?  

    And did they break it down by billable hours by chance?

  • Martin NealPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 293 posts · 383 votes
    6y

    @George Chung great question. Hard to say, but I would definitely compare last year return to this one and examine the difference. I hope you received more money this year too.

  • Investor · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @James De Stefano

    I set up the LLC last year so I can not compare. He charged $300/hr.

  • Investor · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Christopher Smith

    I don't think it was that complicated. 9 properties under 4 different LLCs and one umbrella LLC. He only did the preparation for umbrella LLC and charged $300/hr.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 173 posts · 87 votes
    6y

    @George Chung

    How do you file taxes for an umbrella llc?? What does that mean?? Is it a seperate tax return??

  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @George Chung:

    @Christopher Smith

    I don't think it was that complicated. 9 properties under 4 different LLCs and one umbrella LLC. He only did the preparation for umbrella LLC and charged $300/hr.

    Ok well that helps a little. Honestly I would just ask him to explain his fee perhaps in the context of last year's much lower charge. Sometimes there can be novel or complex issues in a given year that require additional tax research. In any event, if he is honest he shouldn't mind explaining his fee. 

  • Investor · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Patrick J.

    I believe he compiles separate LLCs to the umbrella LLC and file a Signle LLC for the umbrella LLC. I might be wrong but that's my understating. So 9 separate Properties that belongs to few different LLCs and one umbrella LLC owns all LLCs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Augustine, FL · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    At $300/hr that’s only 15.5hours of work on  a “Essentially”a 9 property return.

    I think that’s pretty decent.  

    So about 2 full days of work.  Depending on how well your books were kept that could have taken double that long.

    If you handed everything over to him in a nice little package, accounting and books were flawless and he just had to drop the numbers in the return and submit it then I would think there was a problem....but when I used to do taxes that was rarely the case.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    If they're all just held under a SMLLC in Nevada then then all goes on your personal 1040- if the holding entitity is a partnership then you have a more complicated filing where basis and balance sheet tracking comes into play. 

    So aside from 9 rentals what else was involved? If you also have a ton of stock sales, businesses, itemized deductions ect- that all comes into play. 

    Also consider states- How many different states are the 9 properties in? Any state with a property can create a new filing. 

    There's just a lot of " could bes" 

    Firms bill differently too. 

    I do an upfront price because I hated the "Oh surprise bill this happened to take me X number of hours" concept at most firms. 

    But many firms just bill based on time- so if you handed over a shoebox of receipts and they're billing $300 an hour to open mail, and sort documents...it adds up quickly. 

    Hope this helps!

  • Accountant · NH · Member since 2019 · 269 posts · 288 votes
    6y

    One guy billing at $300/hr prepared the whole return? That is a little odd. At a small firm that is partner level rates for the whole return, even at a regional firm this is senior manager/director level rates.

    As others have stated, entirely depends on the little details, books and record keeping would have a major impact across 9 properties. Really averaging a little over an hour per property could certainly be reasonable depending on the circumstances.

    Hourly billing can be tricky - I would inquire respectfully of what created the increase over the prior year. I personally like to break out my invoices accordingly - IE prior year billing adjusted for inflation, and then separate line items for anything new over the prior year - accounting for a numerous refi, new properties, significant bookkeeping required, cost seg, etc. 

    We are an hourly rate firm, but when I take on new work I always provide (and commit) to a range based on the circumstance presented, and then when the records arrive let them know if I anticipate any issues with that range. So it doesn't always need to be a surprise for hourly billing, in the end our time is worth something so hourly or fixed rate, it is built in.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.