Greenville, SC Area Tax Specialist

Greenville, SC Area Tax Specialist

Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 11 votes

Anyone have recommendations on tax specialist in the upstate of SC? I'm looking for someone who can help me screw the government(legally of course) out of as much of my money as possible. All kidding aside, I feel like all of the tax preparers I have used just wanted my documentation and wanted to put it all together on their spreadsheet instead of explaining how I can save this year and in the future. 

In my 9 to 5 job I work heavily with OSHA and EPA rules, and I could do a great job of advising people/companies what those government agencies have written, what they actually mean by what is written, how they would verify if you violated the law, and what liberties you may be able to take in certain "gray" areas. Basically I need someone who could do this for me with regards to taxes instead of just asking something like "do you have have deductions", and not explain common things people deduct or ways you can structure a business to deduct more(like make me wife a part time employee so our meals at restaurants are business expenses). That last part was just an example, and I don't know if it would even work, but you get the idea. 

Any recommendations?

2Reply
6 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jake HottenrottPro Member
    CPA · Belleville, IL · Member since 2014 · 255 posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Zachary Bradigan - The bad news for you is that 95% of CPAs are exactly how you've experienced.  They take docs, they prep a return and give you a result.  The good news is that I know a few of the tax pros here and I know they are very forward thinking.   My personal reference in your general area, meaning your third of the country, is going to be @Natalie Kolodij.  She's probably about as close distance wise as your going to get to a local pro who knows real estate inside and out. See if she has any availability for new clients and schedule a consult with her.  

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Zachary Bradigan

    One thing caught my eye in your post. You refer to "tax preparers." Well, by definition, such people do what they are supposed to: prepare taxes. If you expect education and tax strategies - you need a tax advisor aka a tax strategist. It's a much smaller (and also a more expensive) group  of professionals. 

    And no, making your wife a part-time employee will not work. First, you risk making her an ex-wife. ;)  Second, she can be involved in your business without being formally employed. Third, legitimate (read: occasional) business meals with your wife do not require any special tricks except truly being for the purpose of discussing business (as opposed to compensating her for a forgotten anniversary)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.