Legal advice needed

Legal advice needed

Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I am looking for either legal advice or a referral to a lawyer that deals with contracts in Florida.

We had a house remodeled and the contractor said that it would cost a certain amount of money ($75K) to renovate and furnish the place. This was a verbal agreement. He then emailed me with the amount we agreed upon and said it was for the "completion of all works in the home." He itemized a few things. He is a contractor that has worked with other homeowners and has quoted people a lump sum at the front end and never billed them more after the completion of the home. We don't have a contract, other than the verbal conversation and email he sent with the cost for the work. Nor did these other homeowners. 

Fast forward a few months later, he then said that he had gone through the budget, spending $74K (2 weeks shy of completing the job) and then a week later stated that I owed him an extra $20K for furnishing the property.

I know that he is upset because I criticized his work as he didn't allow any of my input on this home that we are planning to use as a short term rental. And so I was unhappy with a lot of his renovations. When I mentioned all the changes I want done, then he goes and says I owe him another $20K.

Now he's willing to bargain and accept $12K to finish up the work that was supposed to be included in the $75K in the first place.

Mind you, I have spoken to other homeowners who have worked with him and seen his work. Mine is not as nice as theirs and theirs cost $75K.

They also had issues with him not giving them any input on the renovations.

Any advice?

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    You need a lawyer in your area .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.