Seller Financing with LLCs & Silent Partners Involved

Seller Financing with LLCs & Silent Partners Involved

Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 51 votes

I currently have a 12-unit multi-family property under contract and, per the terms of the P&S, the seller is to provide me 20% seller financing. The P&S states the rate and loan term, but otherwise explains that the details of the second mortgage are to be drafted and signed by the end of the due diligence period.

The P&S lists my name followed by "or assignee(s)" as the buyer and I am planning to assign the property to an LLC before closing. It's also possible that I will bring in a capital partner between now and closing and, going forward, I can't say if and when that capital partner might exit the deal. Therefore, my preference is to use the LLC for all mortgage contracts, including for the seller financing, so that partners can come and go in the future and names never need to be added or removed from loans.

When I recently had the second mortgage contract drafted and sent to the seller, he reacted negatively to seeing the contract between himself and the new LLC instead of between himself and me personally. I can understand why he wants me personally on the hook for the loan, but I don't want to bring in partners and not have their name on a loan for a property we own jointly. Similarly, I don't want to have a loan for a property that I technically don't own (since my LLC would own it). I could go ahead and tell the seller about the new partnership and draft the mortgage contract with our personal names on it, but as an older gentleman and a somewhat unsophisticated RE investor (this is the only rental property he has ever owned), the seller might become upset/alarmed by the entrance of a new person into the picture so late in the process. The property is under contract either way, but I don't want the seller to refuse the seller financing he agreed to and cause me trouble. In addition, the partner might want to leave the deal in the future before the second mortgage's term ends (5 years), in which case he would liquidate ownership in the property but still have his name on the loan. I would instead prefer to have my LLC on the mortgage and use LPs as I see fit while maintaining the perception from the seller's standpoint that I am the only new owner.

How would each of you handle this situation? Maybe I convince the owner to sign the mortgage contract with the LLC on the condition that I individually provide a personal guarantee? In that scenario, I would still be fully liable for a loan on a property that I might only partially own in the future.

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

It sounds like he got cold feet a bit because your name was no longer on the line. I think your best course of action would indeed be the personal guarantee. Telling him about the other partners on your end would probably just muddy the waters.

It's quite common for commercial loans to have personal guarantees from only a few of the partners, regarding your last comment about full liability but fractional ownership. We're talking seller financing, but somewhat in the same world.

A syndication I'm in had a personal guarantee on the loan from 3 or 4 of the General Partners, who combined have minority ownership of the equity.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    It sounds like he got cold feet a bit because your name was no longer on the line. I think your best course of action would indeed be the personal guarantee. Telling him about the other partners on your end would probably just muddy the waters.

    It's quite common for commercial loans to have personal guarantees from only a few of the partners, regarding your last comment about full liability but fractional ownership. We're talking seller financing, but somewhat in the same world.

    A syndication I'm in had a personal guarantee on the loan from 3 or 4 of the General Partners, who combined have minority ownership of the equity.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Nick Gray

    Might be advantageous to give him the personal guaranty to get the job done and make sure that he understands the benefits of the guaranty to him.

    It's common for an an investment partnership to have a mortgage recourse to some members and not others.  Will affect the allocation of liabilities among partners and thus tax basis.

    Be aware that what you're proposing -- having members coming and going in an LLC -- might create some complicated scenarios for taxes and increase your tax professional fees. Just be aware of that and maybe rope in a tax pro now so there's no big surprises next spring...

    Also, why did you make (basically) the same thread twice with different titles?  You might want to see if you can delete the other one.

  • Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 51 votes
    7y

    @Taylor L. @Eamonn McElroy Thank you both for the replies. I have no issue with providing the personal guarantee, so I'll go that route. I believe in the deal enough to guarantee it myself, even if that means I have a disproportionate amount of liability relative to potential partners. Your guidance is much appreciated.

    The double post was accidental. I posted the first time via mobile in an area with bad internet service and I didn't think it had gone through. It doesn't appear that I am able to delete it now, but I have made a comment there to direct readers' attention to this thread instead.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Nick Gray

    Not offering anything new here: yes, personal guarantee is the way to go.

    Only offering a perspective: why would the seller accommodate your concerns about your future funding etc.? You blame it on him being unsophisticated. I disagree. He exercises common sense: he wants assurances of being paid and some recourse if his payments stop coming.

    What you're offering him is some flimsy LLC that he would have to go after if he is not paid. That does not sound attractive - just imagine swapping positions with him. He wants to have a person he can hold accountable: you. Your explanation of your future plans (that are also extremely vague) only makes it riskier for him: you plan to escape responsibility for this loan at some future point. His position is totally reasonable to me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.