Vancouver, BC · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
Hi everyone!
I am a new member based in Vancouver, BC. I am interested in cross-border investing, especially in Washington and Texas.
As a Canadian looking to invest in the US, I understand there are many legal and tax complications that follow. I was wondering if anybody has referrals to professionals that specialize in helping cross-border real estate investors (ie. agents, legal, accounting, the works)?
Looking forward to chatting with others on BiggerPockets!
Engineer · Vancouver, Canada · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 6 votes
7y
Hi,
I'm also in Vancouver and interested in REI in the US. I have a few contacts I can share. I've looked at Washington state and didnt find a market that I felt cashflowed adequately. I looked along the coast down to Seattle. interested to hear what market research you have done.
@Elliott Milek is an accountant based in Ottawa. Great guy who holds property in up state NY.
I have a few other local accountants I interviewed. PM me for their contact info.
I haven't found legal help yet. I imagine it would be state specific.
I am looking at the Kentucky markets as I have family there.
Kenmore, WA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 1 vote
7y
Welcome Karen,
Living in Vancouver, B.C. with rental property in Wa. State & also invest in US Notes.
Depending on your citizenship status it's very important to seek both Canadian & American Legal & Tax guidance as they will both need to work seamlessly with each other, (can be complex).
In Canada I recommend Anderson Tax (Steven Flynn).
In US I recommend KKOS Laywers/Accounting
I've been using a great small little accounting firm UScanadaCPAs (Michele Cloutier) located in Blaine, WA. to do my recent duel tax returns.
Welcome to BP, andI'm sure other will add there commentary
Real Estate Agent · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 182 votes
7y
Welcome to the site! I'm a RE agent in Bellingham. If you're still looking for referrals, give me a ring. I'd also be happy to help you look at investment properties down here. I'm currently negotiating for a rental in Mount Vernon for some new investor clients. There's a lot to find, and I love helping my investor clients find deals of their own. Send me a message or give me a ring and lets talk.
Vancouver, BC · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
7y
Thank you everyone for the great info!
@Nathan Chase would definitely be interested in discussing markets! PM'ed you.
@Joe Zabawa Thank you for the recommendations! It looks like each of them specialize in helping cross-border real estate investors. Definitely going to interview a few of them.
For those based in the Vancouver, BC area, would anyone like to do a meetup to discuss cross-border investing?
Investments in real estate is considered FDAP(fixed, determinable, annual, periodic)/or ECI(effectively connected income) depending on elections made. As such, the United State may require a tax return for foreigners with FDAP/ECI income.
It is good that you selected the states of Washington/Texas as they don't have a state income tax. One less thing you have to worry about.
There are many rules that need to be followed in the US when there are foreign investors involved. There may be mandatory withholding obligations by title companies if you decide to sell US properties.
It is good to work with professionals who work with foreign investors.
Good luck in your real estate investing career! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
@Nathan Chase would definitely be interested in discussing markets! PM'ed you.
@Joe Zabawa Thank you for the recommendations! It looks like each of them specialize in helping cross-border real estate investors. Definitely going to interview a few of them.
For those based in the Vancouver, BC area, would anyone like to do a meetup to discuss cross-border investing?
Hi KAren,
I dont know if your still in vancouver, but i am in the process of finding my first usa proterty. Im looking at markets now and would love to talk some time.
@Nathan Chase would definitely be interested in discussing markets! PM'ed you.
@Joe Zabawa Thank you for the recommendations! It looks like each of them specialize in helping cross-border real estate investors. Definitely going to interview a few of them.
For those based in the Vancouver, BC area, would anyone like to do a meetup to discuss cross-border investing?
Welcome to BP.
I use/recommend Larson Gross in Bellingham for my US Tax filings.