What is the average cost of an LLC? Should I get one?

What is the average cost of an LLC? Should I get one?

Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
So I have 3 properties under my name. My primary residence and two investment homes. The two investment homes are worth around $350k and 250k. Is it recommended to get an LLC for two properties? What is the average cost in an LLC? I have a friend who paid $5000 to a law firm to create it for him and 2000/yr after that. That seems very high. Thoughts?
0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Daniel HymanBusiness Member
CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Allen Lopez

I believe the fee for a DIY LLC formation in Florida is $160 and about $140/year for an annual filing. The fee you mentioned is very excessive. Now, whether or not an LLC is necessary in your case is probably a good conversation to have with an attorney.

My Online Accountant572 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lodi, CA · Member since 2018 · 206 posts · 115 votes
    8y

    @Allen Lopez

    Everyone has their own personal opinion on LLC's when starting out. I set out an LLC for my out of state rentals but have them under one. I paid $300. I'm not sure what your friend was paying for. Did he separate a portfolio of properties under individual LLC's?

        Nothing wrong with getting Umbrella insurance though and not messing with it yet. Hope this helps!

    - Mike

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Allen Lopez That price mention to create and maintain an LLC is just bluntly a rip off. Your profile doesn't say where you are from so it is hard for anyone to say what it will cost. different sates charge different amounts.

    In MD it is $75 to create one, which I can do myself while in about 20 minutes at the state office. It is then $300 a year to the state to maintain it every year. I hear CA is $1,000 a year to maintain.  

    There are also other costs. you will have the cost of accounting fees for your tax return, Bank charges and other miscellaneous charges of running a business. 

    There is also the cost of time. If you have multiple LLCs this can add up to being a real hassle. 

    Whether you should have one is a more complex question that depends on your specific situation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    @Ned Carey Thank you I am on florida
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Allen Lopez I don't know the costs for Florida but someone here should.

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Allen Lopez

    I believe the fee for a DIY LLC formation in Florida is $160 and about $140/year for an annual filing. The fee you mentioned is very excessive. Now, whether or not an LLC is necessary in your case is probably a good conversation to have with an attorney.

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 13 votes
    7y
    @Daniel Hyman So is it difficult to manage it yourself? Is it necessary to have it with a firm? What is the difference?
  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I'm in the professional services world so I am biased, but I always recommend at least a consultation with a professional. 

    I have seen too many times where investors create multiple entities, not realizing the tax and filing implications. A few hundred bucks on the front end would end up saving thousands that it would take to clean up a potential mess.

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Attorney · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 372 posts · 176 votes
    7y

    Like any good lawyer answer, the answer is "it depends." Do you need one or multiple LLCs? How should they be taxed? Are you trying to raise outside capital? If yes, from friends and family, or arms-length third parties? Do you want anonymity features? Do you want to update your estate planning at the same time? Do you have particular buy-sell needs? 

    I'm not in your jurisdiction so I don't know what kind of prices to expect. If you want to get some perspective on what I charge my TX clients, I put my LLC costs on my website. TX has a large filing fee ($325 ish for expedited) so take that into account when looking at what I charge.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.