County Tax Records Outdated?

County Tax Records Outdated?

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 5 votes

Hello!

I am looking into investing in property that have back taxes. I have been looking at county records to find leads and my question is how do I know if the record is still current and active? Many of these say that the owner owes only say $15. I could reach out to them and see if they owe even more at this point (I am looking at records from 2-3 years ago) but I feel it is much more realistic to assume they paid the small amount off. When I find records like this, how would I know if they still owe without wasting my money and time skip tracing them and bothering the owner over an issue that may be resolved already?  

- Also is wholesaling properties like this with no money an option? Or in this cause would I have to buy the property and resell the title with a whole salers mindset.

Thanks!

0Reply
25 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    8y

    There is no public way to find out what's owed on a property.  Public records may show original loan terms and amount borrowed, and from that you can estimate the remaining balance.  That assumes they borrower has been paying according to the terms.  No extra payments, no late payments, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Jon Holdman Thank You!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.