What do I do when a re-conveyance was never filed? Help!

What do I do when a re-conveyance was never filed? Help!

Contractor · Bainbridge, GA · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 35 votes

So this is a bit of a special instance and I have no idea what my options are but last year I had a family member give me a property that he has owned for nearly 12 years. He was no longer able to maintain the property due to his health so he gave me his house in exchange for staying with me. During a title search on the property it was discovered that there was a $3,000 seller carry when he purchased the property back in 2005. He assured me that he paid the previous owner what he owed her and I have no reason not to believe him. However in an attempt to get this cleared up I contacted her and she said that during that time she received no money from him, in fact she said that she never carried any balance for him. She is not claiming he owes her anything, but also is telling me that she never received anything. So how do I move forward with filing a re-conveyance to get that removed if she refuses to sign anything saying that my brother does not owe her anything? Is there a way to get something like that cleared since it is 12 years old and no one has ever spoke up to say there is an unsettled debt? 

Thanks for reading

0Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    well if she does not think she is owed anything just have her sign a doc that says that..

    title should clear it with that.. short of that you can bond around it.

  • Contractor · Bainbridge, GA · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    9y
    Jay Hinrichs so I have spoken to her about it and first off she is 69 years old .... the transaction took place 12 years ago and during that time I guess her and her husband lost a handful of properties to foreclosure so she is a little bit bitter and not really interested in cooperating and told me that I should be talking to a bank or someone else because they took the property from her.... which was false but either way she didn't seem interested in helping at all .... that's why I was looking to see if there was any other options. I would imagine that after a certain amount of time there would be some way to clear that... anyways thank you for your input
  • Contractor · Bainbridge, GA · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 35 votes
    9y
    Jay Hinrichs can you clarify what it means to "bond around it"? Thanks
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    Ask you title company about a bond... that could work..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.