Homeowner Deduction for a primary residence vs rental property

Homeowner Deduction for a primary residence vs rental property

Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes

If I am buying a property to live in, I am eligible to deduct mortgage interest and premiums, and real estate taxes. Can I deduct these if I later decide to rent out the property?

What if I buy to rent outright?

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    9y

    Of course, these would be basic (i.e. ordinary and necessary) expenses of operating a rental property

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks. Ok, so this applies regardless of how many properties I own?

    I was just confused misreading Form 530.

    Qualified Home This means your main home or your second home. A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities. Main home. You can have only one main home at any one time. This is the home where you ordinarily live most of the time. Second home and other special situations. If you have a second home, use part of your home for other than residential living (such as a home office), rent out part of your home, or are having your home constructed, see Qualified Home in Pub. 936

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.