Can I write off MORE if I have a RE License?

Can I write off MORE if I have a RE License?

Rental Property Investor · Running the Earth, watching the sky · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 18 votes

My husband and I own a SFR we rent out in California. We make excellent income from it, FINALLY (1st year claiming with a 1099). He works a full time job. I am the non employed half. We just had our taxes done and BOY did we pay!! We have to do quarterlies now.

Since I do a whole lot of nuthin (besides run a small farm for fun at our rental house)...My Realtor pal told me I should get my RE License so we can write more off. I found an online course from her that she uses for her crew to get licensed for only $200 (accredited). I went thru the workbooks/Exam Cram and aced it already (haven't taken the course yet) because it all relates to my previous job. So the online course should be easy (they guarantee you'll pass or $$ back)

We are not interested in purchasing more properties, accessing MLS, all the other stuff I've seen you all are stating are pros. I don't even want to work in a real estate office/selling. I just want the tax situation to be improved. We are older (the Mr is about 5 years from retirement) and I'm not up for a whole new career. THAT SAID... I wouldn't mind being able to understand what's what when the time comes for us to get to purchase the rental we live in now!

So seeing as how I have time and all, and the cost is not that much, will it save us anything off the taxes? Because even tho she says yes, it looks like there's more I'd have to do thru out the year. I DO actively do a lot for our rental (pool maint every week, fixing every lil tiny thing every week, etc...). Does that matter?

THANKS all!!

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    Nope just having the license does not allow you to get tax treatment like a licensed agent

    talk to your CPA  I would tag some BP CPA's as this is an easy question but its tax season and they are all busy I suspect.

    you have to actually work in the industry a certain amount of hours per month or week..

    you don't have to actually make any or much money but you do have to put effort and work in to take the deductions.  basically full time job.  or close too it.. that's my understanding and of course subject to correction by any of the BP CPA's  ....

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Gail W.,

    Ask your CPA about deductions as a business owner compared to where you are now. There may be some advantages, depending.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Having the license does not allow you to deduct any more than the cost of the license as long as it has a business purpose in your other activities.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.