I am looking for a CPA around the Albany Oregon area.

I am looking for a CPA around the Albany Oregon area.

Rental Property Investor · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 8 votes

Hello,

I was hoping to find some advise on a good real estate CPA around the Albany or Corvallis Oregon area. If you know anyone please let me know.

Thanks Grady

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y

@Jake Hottenrott  interesting.. I guess I am old school I want to go in and eye ball my CPA I want to have lunch with him every quarter and discuss business opps I am thinking about..

I guess if you just have a few rentals and a W 2 job that's OK you can use turbo tax.. but if your in the business I find the council of my CPA invaluable ..

I have had the same CPA  banker and insurance agent for 24 plus years now.. we are all a team

also when you move out of the realm of onezy twozy.... My Banker also knows my CPA well so there is a huge trust factor when I am securing all my building lines of credit and other facilities form my bank that the CPA is local and known to all.

Plus we all go golfing together its team work.. LOL...

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jake HottenrottPro Member
    CPA · Belleville, IL · Member since 2014 · 255 posts · 269 votes
    9y

    @Grady L.- Don't limit yourself to a CPA who is local. Finding someone who is knowledgeable and able to communicate effectively is surprisingly easy these days. There are many CPAs on these threads who would be happy to work with you virtually. I've written a post awhile back on this topic as well. Does my CPA have to be local?

    Best of luck in 2017! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Jake Hottenrott - Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend finding someone within the state? I took a look at both of your posts. The one on how to prepare for a CPA was also helpful.

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I can recommend Elliot at  http://www.wrgncpas.com/. He is in Salem.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Jake Hottenrott  interesting.. I guess I am old school I want to go in and eye ball my CPA I want to have lunch with him every quarter and discuss business opps I am thinking about..

    I guess if you just have a few rentals and a W 2 job that's OK you can use turbo tax.. but if your in the business I find the council of my CPA invaluable ..

    I have had the same CPA  banker and insurance agent for 24 plus years now.. we are all a team

    also when you move out of the realm of onezy twozy.... My Banker also knows my CPA well so there is a huge trust factor when I am securing all my building lines of credit and other facilities form my bank that the CPA is local and known to all.

    Plus we all go golfing together its team work.. LOL...

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Grady L.:

    Hello,

    I was hoping to find some advise on a good real estate CPA around the Albany or Corvallis Oregon area. If you know anyone please let me know.

    Thanks Grady

     You definitely need someone qualified, does not have to be a CPA, could be an Enrolled Agent or an attorney. Just make sure they specialize in tax and have significant experience dealing with real estate investors.

    Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant: http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/7044...

    Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

    If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

    For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

    So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

    Feel free to ask here if you have questions

  • Jake HottenrottPro Member
    CPA · Belleville, IL · Member since 2014 · 255 posts · 269 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs - Going eyeball to eyeball with your CPA?  I guess you've never heard the following joke.  In a circle of accountants talking, how do you pick out the out going one?  It's the one who compliments the others shoes.  :-)

    You are a slightly different bird than most investors.  When you get into more continual transactions and more advanced planning sessions with that requested adviser, a face to face, golf, lunch type relationship might be what someone is needing.  Although, you can still get those same required touches, conversation and social aspects if planned well with a virtual CPA.  While I don't necessarily see some of my far flung clients every year, when they come to St. Louis or when I'm in their neck of the woods I make it a point to visit and catch up.

    With that being said, most real estate investors don't need that many planned touches.  I welcome a client who wants a planned schedule and more touches.  The more I meet with someone, the better advice and planning we can do which makes my service more valuable to my client.  Most real estate investors need access. The access to ask their CPA specific questions regarding their situation, planning and potential acquisitions/disposals.  The access that they know they can get a quick, educated answer that can be explained to them in a way that they understand.  They need access to someone they trust and have built even a slight relationship with so that they know they can reach out and have someone in their corner.

    I would never recommend an investor use turbo tax.  You might be fully capable of getting your best return done on your own, why would you hope that's the case when you can hire a professional?  Even if you have done it right the first year, was there any planning done for years 2, 3,4, etc?  After having done some rehab work myself, I know that you let the painters paint, the drywallers drywall and the accountants account.

    @Grady L. - You won't need a state specific CPA.  While state tax laws can vary and there are some planning aspects to implementing a plan in each state, the majority of your planning will be done to the IRS Code and not the the state tax laws.  Any state nuances can be researched by your CPA.

  • Rental Property Investor · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Jake Hottenrott - Thanks again, it makes sense. I guess I was thinking there were more state specific tax laws. Unfortunately, I am guilty of using turbo tax. Haha. I am slowly learning the value of using professionals. I also want to start pre planning with someone because I am sure I lots of ways to improve!

    @Steven Hamilton II - That is a very helpful list. Several questions that I wouldn't have asked. I will check out the web page as well.

    @Jay Hinrichs - I can understand wanting to be able to see someone. I do like to shake hands and I also like the idea of supporting someone local. I can also understand how someone in a large city might find better rates with someone out of state. For me, I also see a benefit in the local networking side. Who knows it may turn up a deal or I may find a new golfing buddy:)  

    @Nick Sotelo - Thanks I will check him out.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Grady L.  I was being facetious  about turbo tax LOL

  • Contractor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Witt consulting is located in Corvallis. They have done the books and accounting for the last year for our construction company/personal finances. They do a great job!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    Thanks for all the responses!  I to am searching for a semi-local CPA in the Corvallis area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Hey Cody,

    I ended up using Witt consulting and they have handled my taxes the last few years. As Jared stated, they do a good job.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.