Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Question

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 11:03

Ok her it goes. As a married person how do you invest in Real Estate and not have you other half involved. (She doesnt want to be) Do you have to use a corp or llc or a partner.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Casteel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Mar 6 2006, 05:53

Hmmmm...I hope that someone with a little more knowledge than me can chime in here. I think that you have the right idea that the solution is going to involve some sort of entity. Also, if you have an IRA, you could invest with that money as well. If you are going to need financing, you are probably going to have to get your wife involved with the loan docs.

I would say that your best bet would be to study as much as you can on creative financing techniques (lease/option, land contracts, subject-to) in order to eliminate the need for your wife's cooperation.

Tell us what her perspective is please. Is she not at all supportive or is it that she just doesn't want to be active in the process? Will she stop a deal if she is given the chance or will she just be annoyed at the inconvenience?

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2006, 03:21

Its not that she is against it. She just isnt active in the process and dosent see the potintial in REI. I try to explain but its just dosent hold her intrest. To me its all about your support system and protecting your assets.

Speaking of assets. What do you guys and gals do to protect your own assets like the home you live in and other assets from this sueing society. I already have an umbrulla policy just in case but when is it enough?

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Casteel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Mar 7 2006, 07:22

Well it sounds like she won't stop any deals for you. You will just have to find a deal and "sell" the idea to her if she is needed to make it happen.

On your personal assets, if you are concerned you can talk to an estate planning lawyer and discuss personal and family trusts to hold assets. One trick with you own home is to open a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) that is equal to your equity. Even if you don't use the HELOC at all, to the outside world it looks like your home is fully leveraged and you have no equity. That could deter someone from trying to sue you to get at that money. It isn't really a bullet proof vest, but a neat trick.