Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
Account Closed
  • pennsylvania
Votes |
Transfer taxes and changing name of limited partnership

Account Closed
  • pennsylvania
Posted Feb 18 2015, 12:44

I wish to change the name of a Limited Partnership that owns a number of my properties. By doing so, will I need to do title transfers on all the properties owned under the original name to the new name? In other words, will I to pay closing fees, transfer taxes, etc. for each of the properties? 

As an alternative, can I sell the existing LP to the new one? Are there consequences?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Feb 18 2015, 19:46

All sorts of links to PA transfer taxes are collected at this next link:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/8087...

If the PA Dept of Revenue is asked or they get their way, you will pay transfer taxes - selling the entity to another entity without changing the owner name on the deed is also one of the taxable events according to them. And if you are in one if the areas where the RTT is 4% or 5% it's downright painful. 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Feb 18 2015, 19:50

Now, there are exemptions that you might want to explore. For example, a mortgagee getting a property back through foreclosure is exempt from transfer taxes. Certain transfers among family relatives are exempt 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes