Do I have to give a down payment for a contract to be legal?

Do I have to give a down payment for a contract to be legal?

Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I am wondering if I have to give a down payment to a homeowner for a contract to be legal in New York State. Can all funds be paid out at closing?

0Reply
19 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · London · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 74 votes
    19y

    I am not sure I completely understand the question.

    1. There is never a legal reason that a down payments has to be paid unless you promised to do so. If you tell a lender you are paying a down payment then you legally have promised them to do so. Hence you would need to do what you have promised or there could be problems.

    You can do a deal with zero cash if the seller is fine with the deal. You can do a deal where the seller pays you to take the property off their hand.

    2. A contract to buy which has no earnest money may be invalid based on what the contract says. Earnest money is to show good faith and is not required for a sale to be valid. A contract that says you will pay earnest money means you will pay it.

    So, spell out a bit more what you are thinking and then we can comment.

    John Corey

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.