Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Lori Brittain
Votes |
writing off meals during REI meetups

Lori Brittain
Posted Jun 14 2024, 18:02

Should I be saving my receipts when I attend local meetups for a tax writeoff?

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 15 2024, 03:33

If you are in a trade or business, you may potentially be able to write off costs to attend a meetup, and meals while you attend.

The purpose is justified as you are trying to build connections which is required within the real estate space.

The costs of the meals have to be reasonable.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 15 2024, 13:01
Quote from @Lori Brittain:

No, because they are not a write-off if you're merely buying your own meal.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Lori Brittain
Votes |
Replied Jun 17 2024, 19:09
Quote from @Michael Plaks:

No, because they are not a write-off if you're merely buying your own meal.

So I could say that I purchased the meal for a client? I'm curious where the line is drawn b/c I can write off a meal when I am leaving my 9-5 job and going straight to a volleyball match to officiate (second job). And, I believe, if I were to travel for business, I would be able to write off those meals.  I just recently read, after my initial post, that meals with clients are 50% deductible if not "lavish" in price. 

I suppose it would be best to ask the members of my meet up what they do. HMMM

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 18 2024, 02:29
So I could say that I purchased the meal for a client? I'm curious where the line is drawn b/c I can write off a meal when I am leaving my 9-5 job and going straight to a volleyball match to officiate (second job). And, I believe, if I were to travel for business, I would be able to write off those meals.  I just recently read, after my initial post, that meals with clients are 50% deductible if not "lavish" in price. I suppose it would be best to ask the members of my meet up what they do. HMMM 

Lori,
You're new to the forum, so let me warn you what's coming: a very direct talk, the only kind I administer.

1. No, you cannot "say" you purchased the meal for someone else if you purchased it for yourself. I hope I don't have to explain why.

2. No, you cannot write off the meal between two jobs. 

3. Yes, you could deduct your own meals when traveling out of town on business and having an overnight stay. Cannot do it for day trips.

4. The other type of deductible meals is meals you provide to your business associates or clients, future or potential. In other words, you feed other people for a business benefit.

5. Asking your meetup buddies would be the worst, not the best, course of action. They are just as clueless about taxes as you are.   

6. Before your meetup gets "tax-creative" - no, you cannot take turns picking up checks for the group. This scheme had been attempted, and it was shot down in court.

User Stats

Votes
Lori Brittain
Votes |
Replied Jun 18 2024, 05:42
Quote from @Michael Plaks:
So I could say that I purchased the meal for a client? I'm curious where the line is drawn b/c I can write off a meal when I am leaving my 9-5 job and going straight to a volleyball match to officiate (second job). And, I believe, if I were to travel for business, I would be able to write off those meals.  I just recently read, after my initial post, that meals with clients are 50% deductible if not "lavish" in price. I suppose it would be best to ask the members of my meet up what they do. HMMM 

Lori,
You're new to the forum, so let me warn you what's coming: a very direct talk, the only kind I administer.

1. No, you cannot "say" you purchased the meal for someone else if you purchased it for yourself. I hope I don't have to explain why.

2. No, you cannot write off the meal between two jobs. 

3. Yes, you could deduct your own meals when traveling out of town on business and having an overnight stay. Cannot do it for day trips.

4. The other type of deductible meals is meals you provide to your business associates or clients, future or potential. In other words, you feed other people for a business benefit.

5. Asking your meetup buddies would be the worst, not the best, course of action. They are just as clueless about taxes as you are.   

6. Before your meetup gets "tax-creative" - no, you cannot take turns picking up checks for the group. This scheme had been attempted, and it was shot down in court.

I am 100% new and totally clueless which is why I am on Bigger Pockets.  For what other reason would I ask a question unless I didn't know the answer.  I appreciate the details you added, but I don't appreciate the condescending attitude.  I had a CPA tell me that I could write off my meal on the way to the 1099 job from my office job and also the mileage. I also read that if my husband and I meet for lunch/dinner to discuss our business then that is a write-off.  

I have done a lot of research and have asked this question elsewhere, and I get conflicting answers EVERYWHERE.  I saw this on a "tax expert" website just this morning.   

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 18 2024, 12:55

@Lori Brittain

It's OK to not know taxes and ask questions here. This is what the forum is for. What is not OK is to state hearsay as facts and confuse random opinions of random people with actual knowledge or, as you put it, "research."

You can never deduct meals between two jobs, and that CPA was wrong. In the past, before 2018, you could deduct mileage between two jobs but never meals.

You could have deductible business meals with your husband if they are occasional and have a legitimate business purpose. Not just a casual "so how is business going, honey?'

The screenshot you shared does state "be with a business associate." It should have added that you were to provide the meal for both of you. Even the IRS publications are not stating the rules clearly.