• NV and CA
Votes |
taking advantage of passive losses

Ryan Fox
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • NV and CA
Posted Mar 24 2024, 09:27

Tax question. I am not a real estate professional. However, I accumulate a good amount of passive activity losses from rental properties. An opportunity has come along to partner or JV with a company that does a number of house flips. I would be the capital provider and not be active in the partnership. Is there a way to structure the relationship so that I get passive income that offsets my passive losses, thus resulting in no tax owed? Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 25 2024, 06:57
Quote from @Ryan Fox:

Tax question. I am not a real estate professional. However, I accumulate a good amount of passive activity losses from rental properties. An opportunity has come along to partner or JV with a company that does a number of house flips. I would be the capital provider and not be active in the partnership. Is there a way to structure the relationship so that I get passive income that offsets my passive losses, thus resulting in no tax owed? Thanks in advance!

Hey Ryan, (in general) your passive income will be offset by these prior passive losses since they carry forward :) 

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 27 2024, 14:12

If you structure the deal where you are a non-managing member or limited partner with no say in operations, you will be deemed passive and your income will be passive income.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 29 2024, 04:41
Quote from @Zachary Jensen:
Quote from @Ryan Fox:

Hey Ryan, (in general) your passive income will be offset by these prior passive losses since they carry forward :) 

Something i wanted to add to my answer here: These losses carrying forward can offset gains from stocks. I was lucky enough to have a small penny stock I was allocated to hit and used my real estate passive losses to make my gain tax free :) Sometimes we get lucky!