Getting a "YES" for a Loan with limited income and reserves

Getting a "YES" for a Loan with limited income and reserves

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 4 votes

Hi BP Family!  

I am a "newbie" PRO here in the Bigger Pockets community and after lots of reading, listening, watching and learning I have finally found what I believe is a solid "Buy-and-Hold" deal.  Its a Triplex that has been rebuilt from the ground up and is occupied fully by long-term tenants.  The owner is ready to sell off his properties and retire.  I learned what he would likely accept and it leaves a decent chunk in equity right away for what amounts to a *relatively* turnkey scenario.  

After conservative analysis it still cashflows a nice number and I really want the deal BUT....

I don't have the reserves that many lenders want to see.  My credit score is over 740 but like most of america, I'm out of work. My job in Film/TV won't fire back up until what seems like June at the earliest!  

HOW does a rookie who found a cookie get the financing?  I have heard most suggestions like "get a partner" and I do know someone but I'd really like to begin on my own two feet.  This will likely garner backlash in the replies and I'll take that.

What I'd love to know is: Has anyone encountered a way to get financed with less than 6 months rental income reserves?  

I have learned so much from this community already and am very grateful for any sagely advice.  THANK YOU!

Jim

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · DMV · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
6y

@Jim Bray

Thank you for posting this, I too am in the same boat, working in TV/Film having limited reserves. Following this discussion for more information.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jim Bray

    You’re asking how, you should be asking “why?”. Having zero reserves alone make this a horrible idea.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Thank you for your reply @Kris H. It's wonderful to see a community member encourage people new to REI with constructive feedback!

    To clarify, I don't have 'zero reserves'. I have "limited reserves"... about 3-4 months worth.

    I learned from @Brandon Turner and @Josh Dorkin not to say "Can't" but rather "How can I?"

  • New to Real Estate · DMV · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Jim Bray

    Thank you for posting this, I too am in the same boat, working in TV/Film having limited reserves. Following this discussion for more information.

  • Realtor · Southern NJ · Member since 2017 · 188 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    How much is the purchase price?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Chris Teti The asking is 100k and the realtor has let me know that the buyer would very likely take a little less.  Why do you ask?  I'm open to all ideas, collaborations and inspirations!  

  • Realtor · Southern NJ · Member since 2017 · 188 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    I ask because so many investors work in such a wide variety of areas and price points of the country. So someone looking for $30K has some different options than someone looking for $500K for their project.

    I have alot of experience with unsecured lines of credit. I tend to think that they are a fantastic tool and actually a preferred method of funding or partially funding deals. So I was curious as to how much you needed to see if that was a realistic option or not. Either to fund the entire purchase or to use for part of your funding. Problem with your situation is that those funds would have to be seasoned and you will likely miss this opportunity, but you could potentially have them in place and seasoned for the next opportunity.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Chris Teti THANK YOU for the feedback! I hadn't really thought about an LOC. I think you're right that the "seasoning" is the secret ingredient in this dish. I will likely need to set something like that (or a similar maneuver) to ensure I don't miss the next great chance. In the mean time, I will be soliciting a viable partner. I believe that @Brandon Turner utilized a partner to get his first deal so, they're not bad footsteps to walk in!  I appreciate your time in replying. I'll be looking up just how long lenders want to see funds sitting in an account doing too little so I don't waste more time.  

  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    6y

    @Jim Bray Partnering with someone who has experience is a great way to get your foot in the door for financing.  Lack of experience can affect the cost of the loan.  I have access to private capital and the lenders like experience, but it's not a deal breaker.  All the best.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Michael Ohara!  I DM'd you to connect.  I'm grateful for the insight!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jim Bray Hey Jim, I’m new on here but I too am in a similar situation with the business here in LA. Would love to chat further about your current and future projects!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Sounds Good @Dylan Quagliato I'll DM you and we can connect.  @Michael Ohara I have noticed that loan restrictions are tightening up this week with larger institutions like CHASE and BofA.  Is that also trending toward being the case with private lending in your view?

  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    6y

    @Jim Bray

    I know some lenders are tightening but the the lenders with funds that are their own and not connected to Wall Street are still cutting checks. Let me know how I can help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.