Lenders at 5-10% down on investment property

Lenders at 5-10% down on investment property

Watertown, MA · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 17 votes

Hi BP!

I own 3 multi-families in the greater Boston area (2 duplexes in Watertown, One Duplex in Brighton) and I'm looking to expand my portfolio.

There are several properties I've been looking at where I can afford the 20%, but the monthly numbers wouldn't make sense if I did.  For the numbers to work (for me), I need to put down closer to like 5-10%.

Are there any lenders out there doing conventional 30 year fixed loans for people like me with only 5-10% down on investment properties?  I'm not interested in moving and house hacking at this point in my life, so it would not be a primary residence.  My credit is around 800, I have excellent equity in my other properties, and I have a comfortable salary ($100k give or take).  The same can be said for my brother who invests with me.

If there simply aren't traditional lenders out there willing to do something like this, I'll look at other ways of spending my liquid cash, but this would be my first choice if possible.  Thanks BP!

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Nolan:

    Hi BP!

    I own 3 multi-families in the greater Boston area (2 duplexes in Watertown, One Duplex in Brighton) and I'm looking to expand my portfolio.

    There are several properties I've been looking at where I can afford the 20%, but the monthly numbers wouldn't make sense if I did.  For the numbers to work (for me), I need to put down closer to like 5-10%.

    Are there any lenders out there doing conventional 30 year fixed loans for people like me with only 5-10% down on investment properties?  I'm not interested in moving and house hacking at this point in my life, so it would not be a primary residence.  My credit is around 800, I have excellent equity in my other properties, and I have a comfortable salary ($100k give or take).  The same can be said for my brother who invests with me.

    If there simply aren't traditional lenders out there willing to do something like this, I'll look at other ways of spending my liquid cash, but this would be my first choice if possible.  Thanks BP!

     There are, rates are about 7% and you will pay upfront points.  

  • Watertown, MA · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 17 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt:
    Originally posted by @Mark Nolan:

    Hi BP!

    I own 3 multi-families in the greater Boston area (2 duplexes in Watertown, One Duplex in Brighton) and I'm looking to expand my portfolio.

    There are several properties I've been looking at where I can afford the 20%, but the monthly numbers wouldn't make sense if I did.  For the numbers to work (for me), I need to put down closer to like 5-10%.

    Are there any lenders out there doing conventional 30 year fixed loans for people like me with only 5-10% down on investment properties?  I'm not interested in moving and house hacking at this point in my life, so it would not be a primary residence.  My credit is around 800, I have excellent equity in my other properties, and I have a comfortable salary ($100k give or take).  The same can be said for my brother who invests with me.

    If there simply aren't traditional lenders out there willing to do something like this, I'll look at other ways of spending my liquid cash, but this would be my first choice if possible.  Thanks BP!

     There are, rates are about 7% and you will pay upfront points.  

     Not entirely surprising, thanks for the quick response.  Will likely look at other ways of leveraging my cash.  Thanks!

  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    You can do a 10% down on a second home property (pied de terres or vacation homes), that can be an income property also. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.