where can I get a loan to rehab a property

where can I get a loan to rehab a property

Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I recently acquired a property and I am looking to where I can obtain a unsecured loan to rehab the property  in southern California.

Would any one have any ideas? 

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
7y

There are more than enough resources here on BiggerPockets to help you.  To answer your question you have multiple options.  Hard money may be the most common.  BP even has a list of hard money lenders!  Next would be private money.

In the future, try exploring the option of a 203k loan.  That is where you finance your rehab costs directly into your mortgage.

Regardless, do your homework for yourself and for your deal!  No one option is the golden option...

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    7y

    There are more than enough resources here on BiggerPockets to help you.  To answer your question you have multiple options.  Hard money may be the most common.  BP even has a list of hard money lenders!  Next would be private money.

    In the future, try exploring the option of a 203k loan.  That is where you finance your rehab costs directly into your mortgage.

    Regardless, do your homework for yourself and for your deal!  No one option is the golden option...

  • Lender · Winlock, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Why an unsecured loan? So if I am understanding you correctly, basically it would be a personal line of credit? If it were me, I would just get the rehab loan on the subject property. You can look at Fannie Mae Homestyle renovations for either an owner occupied or a non-owner occupied loan. If it is owner occupied, you can also look at FHA203K. 

    There are many portfolio loans available that are designed for both the purchase and rehab, or you can do it as a refinance and rehab, either way? 

    When your all done with the rehab, I would plan to refinance it back to a Fannie Mae loan without mortgage insurance. You can do that up to 80% on a owner occupied cash out or up to 75% on a non-owner occupied cash out?

    To have access to all the fix n flip type portfolio loans, you will need to work with a banker or a broker. Most local banks and credit unions will not have access to these portfolio type loans. 

    I hope this helps?

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Riveraundefined the same place you find any loan: banks, HML's, and PML's.

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I already have a hard money lender financing the property.

    I am just looking for another loan to fix the property or a investor to partner up with me to get this one done. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Joseph Rivera  Personal loan, credit cards, 401k loan, friends and family.  For unsecured, those are probably your best options.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.