Help: Restructuring Debt

Help: Restructuring Debt

Rental Property Investor · Tupelo, MS · Member since 2018 · 132 posts · 61 votes

I have a portfolio of a mix of 22 single family and multifamily properties and I am considering the following strategy.  The goal would be to diversify payoff times and to increase cash flow.  I am interested in feedback on this plan.  By the way, all of these properties are leveraged currently on 15 year portfolio loans with local banks that balloon in 5 years.   What I want to do is:

1) Keep all of the properties with a value under 50,000 on the same financing stated above, with a goal to pay them off in 10 years.  

2) Refinance all of the properties valued over 60,000 to 30 year fixed financing at at rate of 7.5%. These properties would be leveraged at 75% of LTV and include, 2 triplexes, 2 duplexes, and 5 single families (value $700,000). The total value of the portfolio is close to 2 million.

My goal would be to keep adding to this portfolio in several different markets.  The opinion of several investors in the market I invest in to keep things on the 15 year plan to paydown the debt faster, but I want to go to between 80-100 units (for cash flow purposes) and local banks are starting to cap me at current levels.  My thinking is that if I payoff some of the larger balances with the small banks they will allow me to borrow additional capital.   What do you all think? 

Also if this doesn't make sense please tell me, I'm still learning.

1Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    7y

    @Johnoson Crutchfield

    Few thoughts:

    1. 7.5% seems awfully high for a 30 year, even in this interest rate environment - doesn't it?
    2. Consider strategies to accelerate payoff of one or a couple properties - we've been evaluating this for our portfolio and it can make a big difference over the long haul
    3. Sanity check here - why do you want all those units?
    4. What's your cash flow / unit currently ?  My observation is that folks that have employed the volume approach often are in lower value properties and as a result tend to want to maximize borrowing / leverage.. Which would not be optimal without these constraints in my opinion.  At first glance you may be one of these.

    I'd think let's start here.  I'm only dealing with portfolio of 10-12 and honestly have no intention of increasing units like you but there may be some value in working through this with you because we are looking heavily at our financing picture as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tupelo, MS · Member since 2018 · 132 posts · 61 votes
    7y

    Yes 7.5 is what I’m being quoted on 30 years from a secondary lender.  The number of units is simply because of a desire for cash flow. I have some units cashflowing $50 a month on traditional 15 yr notes right now and I’ve got some units cashflowing $300 a month. And yes most of my properties are under 60k value. I’ve seen a lot of folks take their whole portfolio like mine and put it all on 30 years and then double their cash flow. But I’m thinking keeping most on 15 years would help me be sure to paydown the debt sooner. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tupelo, MS · Member since 2018 · 132 posts · 61 votes
    7y

    I wonder if I posted this to the right forum as I thought I'd get alot more responses.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.