How do people get LOC's for investing?

How do people get LOC's for investing?

Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 234 votes

I see several posts on people who receive LOC's (not heloc) to finance their BRRRR properties.

How are they finding funds for this? Is it personal or business line of credit.

Can someone provide a basic example on how to do this?

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Madison, MS · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
8y

I've done this with my SFR's. I think you need several things:

1) Good credit score

2) A bank willing to lend with investment property as collateral

3) Equity in the investment property (my bank will do 80% LTV)

Terms right now are 4.25%, but the rate floats so you might want to watch that given rate increases going forward.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Madison, MS · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I've done this with my SFR's. I think you need several things:

    1) Good credit score

    2) A bank willing to lend with investment property as collateral

    3) Equity in the investment property (my bank will do 80% LTV)

    Terms right now are 4.25%, but the rate floats so you might want to watch that given rate increases going forward.

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Usually it will be because they have several rental properties that generate enough income to do this and I believe most of the stories you hear on BP will be business lines of credit based on rental properties that the investor currently owns.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 493 posts · 386 votes
    8y
    I’ve used Personal Line of Credit. TD Banks offers up to 50k. I believe Wells Fargo also has Personal line of Credit, I plan to look into it early next year. At some point I plan to open a Business Line of Credit. I was reminded by my bank rep that my biz needs to be establish for minimally 2 years before applying. Not sure if all banks have this same requirement..
  • Springfield, TN · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    I think Ryan Henderson, has it right. It will be hard to avoid paying the down payment on an investment. If you can come up with that, it would help. Also I'm sure many of these individuals are well established in this game. That's the largest hurdle in my opinion is getting to that level. It may take a couple of years but the determined will succeed .

    Lindsey

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 234 votes
    8y

    I've read several posts that investors are receiving unsecured LOC's. I have yet to find this.

  • Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
    8y

    Howdy @William S.

    I have both. The LOC is a personal LOC through a local Credit Union which I have numerous accounts with for over 30 years. The HELOC is with a local bank.

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    I'm planning on applying for several lines of credit soon.  I'm a physician, and there are several banks that offer personal, unsecured lines of credit specifically for physicians.  I used one of these in residency and it worked out well for me, but is now paid off and closed.  Also, in my research, I found that SoFi and Wells Fargo offer lines of credit to anyone with good credit score and income.  So those may be options for you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    William S. Kyle Varner Business credit does not use personal credit instead it uses Business EIN. Here are notes from my most recent podcast interview. 1) Set up a business, website, physical address, land line 2) Get setup with reporting agency – write to reporting agency to see if you have an existing report 3) Get credit cards using EIN (Do not use Social Security Number) 4) Get Uline, Quill, Grainger, Seaton, Gimler, etc accounts 5) After 5 accounts get Home Depot, Lowes, Cash Credit Cards, Amazon, Sears 6) After 10 accounts get VIsa or Mastercard accounts
  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @William S.

    We use a LOC secured by one of our free and clear rentals that we buy most of our brrrrrs with. 100k arm 5.5%. Revolving line. Interest only.

    Just got approved last week for a 45k unsecured line @ 7% 

    They are super handy tools. But you have to be confident of the refi... you really don’t want to get stuck in those. They are just tools. 

    Check out my podcast with BP for more info on what we do. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.