Where to park my self directed 401K / IRA Money

Where to park my self directed 401K / IRA Money

Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 159 votes

Greetings BP,

I am a new investor and I was curious to know of some companies or investors who are actively seeking investors. I have a self directed 401k with a fair amount of cash in it ~50K and I was interested in seeing what investors and or companies I could work with to beat the laughable returns I am getting in the stock market right now.  If its not too much trouble could some of you seasoned pros assist me in finding some outlets for that by either referring me to someone or telling me how to find such outlets? Thanks again BP 

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Mark RobertsonPro Member
Investor · Salisbury, NC · Member since 2014 · 313 posts · 385 votes
10y

@Ian Ippolito  It must be Holdfolio that @Larry Fried calls the Holy Grail, (it may be the Holy Grail since no other platform has taken non accredited money using 506b) They are the only real estate crowdfunding platform that takes non accredited investors and puts together 10 SFH portfolios. It will be interesting to see if the principles post again after BP members called into question the legality of how they operate.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Armstrong

    I (as well as many other BP members) mainly invest in private lending. The reason this is attractive to me is because it is passive and you get double digit returns on your money. It is also low risk because typically my loans are secured by the property at about 60% LTV.

    You will need to build some relationships in order to access such opportunities but if you would like some pointers send me PM.

  • Investor · San Leandro, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi Chris

    You can use the funds in your self-directed 401k to invest in RE syndication deals. Just find a good sponsor (syndicator) and invest in his or her deal. It's not uncommon to earn upward of 12% average annual returns. See below:

    1. Find and use a good custodian, they'll set you up correctly and ensure that you're not involved in prohibited transaction

    2. There are several reputable sponsors on BP (including me), vet the sponsor and the deal prior to investing in their deal.

    Good luck to you...

  • Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 159 votes
    10y

    Thank you both for responding so quickly. I do very much appreciate it. 

  • Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    There are many good, reliable and proven custodians. You can direct the custodian to invest your funds in an investment trust. The trust funds are held in your corner bank with an independent unrelated trustee, who signs the checks. You can invest freely without the cost or delay of going through the custodian. Better yet, all rents, note payments or other income goes directly to that trust account and can be reinvested rapidly.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Armstrong

    Have you ever considered investing your retirement funds in crowd funding or tax liens as these don't take a large sum of funds to get started?

  • Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 159 votes
    10y

    @Mark Nolan I have not but is that something that can be done with the self directed 401k IRA? I would be interested to learn more.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Armstrong Yes, you can invest in crowdfunding or tax liens. As long as everything is done under the name of the SD IRA or 401k, and that all the investments, incomes and expenses go through the IRA or 401k as well.

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    @Chris Armstrong I have been using self-directed funds to do private loans for years now, but my focus recently switched to equity investments via what I believe to be a unique crowdfunding company where I own interests in 10 property portfolios.  I wrote about this investment here 

    Have I Found the Holy Grail of Passive Real Estate Investing?

  • Ian IppolitoBusiness Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Larry, I think that's the 9th or 10th time now I've seen you make the same post. Don't keep us all in suspense: What is its name?

    The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review
    View Page
  • Mark RobertsonPro Member
    Investor · Salisbury, NC · Member since 2014 · 313 posts · 385 votes
    10y

    @Ian Ippolito  It must be Holdfolio that @Larry Fried calls the Holy Grail, (it may be the Holy Grail since no other platform has taken non accredited money using 506b) They are the only real estate crowdfunding platform that takes non accredited investors and puts together 10 SFH portfolios. It will be interesting to see if the principles post again after BP members called into question the legality of how they operate.

  • Royal Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 127 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    We all know he's referring to Holdfolio. But to refrain from breaking the rules on BP forums he will not mention the name of the company. 

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Chris, as you probably know that with a self directed 401k you don't need a custodian. You have full check writing authority as a trustee. In the case of a Self Directed IRA you do need to have a custodian.

    I agree with some of the previous posts that investing in either real estate debt or equity is the easiest way to invest your money. In the case of real estate debt the risk is a lot lower as long as you look for investments where the LTV is conservative (60% ish). The beauty here is when you do it through your 401k that you can earn between 8% to 11% through these crowd funding sites and not pay a dime in taxes until you withdraw your chase when you retire. Hence the cash grows compounded with nearly no fees.

    The crowdfunding sites where you purchase equity are out there too.  However the risk is higher.

    Check out the following (peerstreet, realtymogul, patchofland, realtyshares... there are MANY others).

  • Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 76 votes
    10y

    How would someone who is not an accredited investor invest in real estate debt through a self directed IRA?

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

    Hello and welcome to BP!  One way to do real estate is to go with a turnkey investor like Mempis Invest. You can also go with a more active partner to be involved in that.  Good luck!

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Raj Vachani very interesting that you mentioned with a self directed 401k you don't need a custodian and have full check writing authority. Can you provide more info? Is it possible to take a loan from an employer 401k and place those funds into a self-directed 401k?

  • Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 159 votes
    10y

    @Raj Vachani Thanks for the information. I will look into those sites. I am trying to figure out my 401K right now because its my current employers offering so I don't think I can change it to a self directed yet, but I am looking for a place to park some other funds I have as well. I don't have much experience in flips or rehabs yet so I figure that sort of investing could be good in the meantime. Ideally i would find a JV opportunity with someone who has that sort of experience and it could go from there but that can take time to find and build that relationship.

  • Brian EastmanPro Member
    Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Patricia Joseph

    You cannot do what you propose.  When you take a loan from a 401k, that is no longer 401k money.  It is money in your pocket and you are obligated to repay the source 401k plan.

    A self directed IRA or 401k may be funded with a rollover from an IRA or a 401k plan of a former employer. You can also make new contributions to such plans.

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    @Brian Eastman yes, I understand that the loan from the 401k has to be repaid, which we will repay through payroll deduction. Are you saying that the loan proceeds can't be used to fund the self-directed 401k?

  • Brian EastmanPro Member
    Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Patricia Joseph

    That is exactly what I am saying.  

    A 401k may only be funded via new tax-year contributions from income received via the employer sponsoring the plan, or via rollover from another plan.

    When you take a loan from a current plan, that is not a rollover.  That is you borrowing from that plan, with an obligation to repay that plan.

    Money you borrowed from another plan is not self-employment income, and cannot be used to make new contributions to a new plan.

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Brian Eastman that's good info to know!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.