Home Equity Loan vs. Refi on rental without existing mortgage?

Home Equity Loan vs. Refi on rental without existing mortgage?

Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 4 votes

I think I'm in a pretty unique situation and am trying to figure out the right hoops to jump through to move forward.

Long story short, I'm trying to tap into the equity of the rental property passed down from my grandparents that is held in an S-corp which is co-owned by myself, my siblings, our cousins, and an idiot uncle. There is currently not a mortgage on the property, but due to the s-corp ownership, refinancing is not going as easily as I'd hoped. Would a home equity loan be a viable option in this situation, especially in regards to eliminating some of the red tape I'm running into with a refinancing an scorp-owned property?

I've been working with a mortgage broker but haven't had the chance to talk with him about this as an option yet. The idea is the product of an ah-ha moment late Friday afternoon as I was scrambling to put the pieces of this puzzle back together. I will be talking to him Monday, or possibly today if I find time at work. I'm hoping he'll have some options for me.

I know a Home Equity Loan is basically a second mortgage in normal situations, but they seem to come with less red tape from what I've found. And I know that a refinance would be the best, and most common, way to go. Interest rates between a HEL and a refi are comparable, the equity in the property is equal to the value of the property and I only need about 50% to purchase another property. I average about $2000 a month in cashflow on the current rental property, and the new property would bring in around $3500 in gross revenue. So the numbers seem to support either.

Just looking for some feedback as I continue to brainstorm a path to success.

(It should be noted that the hurdles with the refinance are not with the mortgage broker or the mortgage itself.)

Thanks! Patrick

0Reply
41 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y

    @Patrick Braswell I've never heard of a bank approving a HELOC to an S Corp. HELOCs are generally provided to properties that are held in the owner's personal name.

    Are your family members not interested in refinancing the property?

    In theory, you could refinance the property and buy them out OR you could sell your interest to them.

  • Patrick BraswellPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    I'm not looking for a HELOC, but a Home Equity Loan. All but one of the family members are on board, and we collectively own the majority, but it's 55% and the bank requires 60%. We are starting to explore options for buying his shares to eliminate him as a risk and a roadblock but still have funds leftover for growth. Thanks for your feedback!

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Patrick Braswell:

    I'm not looking for a HELOC, but a Home Equity Loan. All but one of the family members are on board, and we collectively own the majority, but it's 55% and the bank requires 60%. We are starting to explore options for buying his shares to eliminate him as a risk and a roadblock but still have funds leftover for growth. Thanks for your feedback!

    @Patrick Braswell Got it. just didn't want you to spend all the time working with your family members if the bank won't approve a HEL. Either way, most banks have other programs that could help you out. Good luck!

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey Patrick, 

    You can easily do a 1st mortgage refinance or 2nd HELOAN DSCR Cash out while keeping title to your property held in an S-Corp. As long as the rents can cover both the current PITI and proposed P&I payment, credit is at least 680. you should be able to qualify.

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Bryan MaddexBusiness Member
    Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 159 posts · 76 votes
    1y

    Hey @Patrick Braswell You shouldn't have any issues getting a DSCR loan as long as you have at least 1 borrower who owns 20 to 25% of the property, or if a couple of you can get to that level combined.

    Owning in an SCorp is not for all lenders, but plenty of lenders are ok with this holding type.  If your broker does not have access to lenders that are fine with SCorp, reach out to me, i have a few that have no issues with this. My most aggressively priced lender also does not mind  :)

    Bello Mortgage powered by Coast2Coast Mortgage
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.