• Orlando, FL
Votes |
Gap Funding - Just Starting

Jaquon Miller
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Apr 24 2024, 11:35

Have 100k sitting and a few real estate investors in my network who have inquired as to whether I’d be interested in helping to fund their down payments for fix & flips. 

Should I do this as individual vs entity and what are market rate terms? Should I be looking for interest and a % of the profits?

User Stats

Votes
John O'Leary
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Replied Apr 24 2024, 13:03

If the investor is using a HML, offering a second position may be challenging as most lenders prefer to be the sole lien holders. For example, say the investor is requesting funds for a rehab draw and they utilized a GAP loan. This could potentially lead to complications such as frozen funds when mechanics liens are searched and they see the 2nd lien. However, if you're open to a silent second position via a promissory note, it may be feasible.

Determining whether to invest as an individual or entity is a question best addressed by your attorney and CPA. In my experience offering GAP loans, I typically charged between 12-15% interest and 3 points due to the loan size. Bridge loan rates have ranged from 8-12% depending on market conditions and the cost of capital.

User Stats

Votes
Jaquon Miller
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Apr 25 2024, 06:40
Quote from @John O'Leary:

If the investor is using a HML, offering a second position may be challenging as most lenders prefer to be the sole lien holders. For example, say the investor is requesting funds for a rehab draw and they utilized a GAP loan. This could potentially lead to complications such as frozen funds when mechanics liens are searched and they see the 2nd lien. However, if you're open to a silent second position via a promissory note, it may be feasible.

Determining whether to invest as an individual or entity is a question best addressed by your attorney and CPA. In my experience offering GAP loans, I typically charged between 12-15% interest and 3 points due to the loan size. Bridge loan rates have ranged from 8-12% depending on market conditions and the cost of capital.

Appreciate this info & detail. This was super helpful

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jesse W.
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 25 2024, 16:11

The gap investors I have worked with usually receive an 8-12% return as mentioned here, and are usually done as an individual in my experience. Best of luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Jaquon Miller
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Apr 26 2024, 14:11
Quote from @Jesse W.:

The gap investors I have worked with usually receive an 8-12% return as mentioned here, and are usually done as an individual in my experience. Best of luck! 

Appreciate the info Jesse. You located in Central fl by any chance? 

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 27 2024, 14:09

% in the profits makes you a partner instead of a lender.

Return on a CD is around 5% so you likely want atleast 8% to cover the risk, ideally 10%+

User Stats

Votes
Jesse W.
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 29 2024, 08:47
Quote from @Jaquon Miller:
Quote from @Jesse W.:

Happy to help! No, but I'm nearby in Tampa.

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 30 2024, 10:41

It sounds like a decent idea to put that $100,000 to work by helping fund down payments for fix & flip projects. You might want to consider setting this up through an entity like an LLC for asset protection and tax benefits. You could look at charging interest plus getting a percentage of the profits, which boosts your potential earnings. Remember, there's an added risk if you're stepping in as a second mortgage holder. If things go south and the property is sold off due to a default, you'll be second in line to get paid. If the first mortgage takes most of the property value, you might not see all your money back. So, it's crucial to have clear agreements and carefully vet the projects to manage these risks effectively.

• Broker Florida (#SL3334101)

Graystone Investment Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jaquon Miller
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied May 10 2024, 11:15
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:

% in the profits makes you a partner instead of a lender.

Return on a CD is around 5% so you likely want atleast 8% to cover the risk, ideally 10%+

Thanks Basit, that makes perfect sense.

User Stats

Votes
Jaquon Miller
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied May 10 2024, 11:16
Quote from @Jesse W.:
Quote from @Jaquon Miller:
Quote from @Jesse W.:

Happy to help! No, but I'm nearby in Tampa.

Perfect, that’s just as good. A very short drive! 

User Stats

Votes
Jaquon Miller
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied May 10 2024, 11:17
Quote from @Jorge Vazquez:

It sounds like a decent idea to put that $100,000 to work by helping fund down payments for fix & flip projects. You might want to consider setting this up through an entity like an LLC for asset protection and tax benefits. You could look at charging interest plus getting a percentage of the profits, which boosts your potential earnings. Remember, there's an added risk if you're stepping in as a second mortgage holder. If things go south and the property is sold off due to a default, you'll be second in line to get paid. If the first mortgage takes most of the property value, you might not see all your money back. So, it's crucial to have clear agreements and carefully vet the projects to manage these risks effectively.

Great info Jorge. Thanks for the additional nuance.