Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 137 posts · 62 votes
Hello,
Our company is starting to outpace our Friends and Family circles and now that we want to get into the larger properties and need knew streams of equity. Most of the Private Equity shops we talk to say our projects are too small for them as they all seem to have a minimum of 5 million they look to invest per deal.
Right now the projects we are targeting are only in the need for about 1-3 million dollars in private equity.
My question for you is: Are there brokers syndicators that will help you find these equity investors for a fee? I know when we were looking into historic tax credits we found a few people that specialized in just this, helping corporations find tax credit incentives.
I know that crowdfunding is picking up steam and I love their models, but want to know if there are other ways to find equity for your projects.
Juan is looking for Equity if your looking for debt then its just dialing for dollars.
Juan I have had success with a few of the crowd funders.. Most have started with smaller deals but as they have gained steam the amounts your talking about are coming into play... In my experience they are looking for VERY experienced operators that have some wherewithal and that will PG.
Other than that you have the 506 routes and you can do this on your own.
I would think most companies that can raise any serious equity would do it for their own deals and or want a big stake in the project not just a fee like a broker. At least if I raised a few million for you I would not be happy with 2 points :) I would want to be your partner.....:) And if your fine with a money partner this might be the route to go. Lots of cash out there.. spread the returns around and give up more than you want to establish a track record and over time you can do these yourself..
Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 137 posts · 62 votes
12y
@Jay Hinrichs - You hit the nail right on the head, in the end we did exactly just that and brought someone on board who helped us bring in the rest of the money we needed in exchange to a share of being a General Partner. We have a track record established, just don't (I guess didn't) have any experience raising equity.
Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 137 posts · 62 votes
12y
@Jay Hinrichs - Would you possible be interested in such a scenario in the future? I can send you the material we put together for this deal, as this is the type of deal that we look for. If it is something that you find interested we can discuss in further details.
sure thing at least I can give you another opinion. I fund many different types of investors all over the country... mainly in the single family fix and flip
I am active in the South and south east.. Have never done anything in your area.. have done a lot in MI and IL and IN and some in OH.
The multifamily projects we are sourcing right now are located in San Antonio and Austin. We are still going to keep working in Pittsburgh, but our principal and myself are relocating to Texas. Better market and more growth than the Mid Atlantic, short and long term. I will be sending you an email shortly.
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
The crowdfunding platforms are probably your best bet for projects your size. Broker-dealers will want to try to design out too much risk and the underwriting fees will be too high for deals your size.
Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 137 posts · 62 votes
12y
@Bryan Hancock Thanks for your reply, we actually were trying to work with two crowdfunding sites and were going to post the deal on at least one. We ended up funding the deal the way that Jay mentioned above and didn't pursue further. I like crowdfunding and hopes it becomes more common in the future.
After reading their terms and legal docs, seems that crowdfunding sites are incredibly restrictive and protective also. Don't blame them however as they are looking out for their investors in a new business class.
I will actually be relocating down to Austin, apparently like much of the world soon, hopefully we will have a chance to meet up sometime.
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
You and 110 people/day Juan. Which sites are you working with on your raise? I have spoken to most of them and can probably give you some pointers about others to chat with.
Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 137 posts · 62 votes
12y
@Bryan Hancock - We were talking to Fundrise and Realtyshares. I just tried to send you a PM but for some reason it didn't let me.
Yeah its amazing whats going on in Austin right now. Few deals make sense in that market place. Its a bit difficult being so far away, hopefully we we make the move and are there things will speed up for us.
Do you do any multifamily stuff? I think seeing your posts and such appears to you SFR new development, correct?
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
We do small subdivisions, but not really any apartment complexes, etc. I have repositioned product like that in the past, but we haven't built anything new yet. The play in town right now is for end user housing and that is what we're laser focused on.