A bit of a silly question...

A bit of a silly question...

Greenville, SC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 13 votes

As a first time homebuyer, I was planning to use a conventional loan and put 3% down. However, I found an opportunity to purchase a duplex that's currently occupied with tenants. I considered using hard money to help in putting 20% down so I don't need to live there but being that it's already at the top of my price range, paying higher interest on the hard money on top of my monthly mortgage payment would be way too expensive. I would love to house hack but multi-family units are rare in the area even though it's rapidly growing. Right now, I rent a townhome that's at least 50% cheaper than most places in the area so I've been able to save more and more, but most likely won't afford a 20% down payment in my area anytime soon.

For people who use hard money with, is it only worth it if you get a really good deal on the purchase price? Especially if you don't have the funds to put 20% yourself? 

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

@Scott Vaeth

-you can't use hard money for a down payment + a conventional loan for the balance - that's not a thing you can (or should!) do

-hard money is short term financing - you would always be refinancing or selling, you don't use hard money to buy and hold. you use hard money for a flip or a BRRRR

hope this helps

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    It's all just math. Until you own a home, you can't do most DSCR loans, but you can do a conventional loan on a duplex and live in one side. Hard Money loans are bridge loans to get you into a property with the intention of selling the property after renovation or refinancing it into another type of financing. Do you have the opportunity to move into one side and make it a primary residence? That would solve a lot of issues for you.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Scott Vaeth

    -you can't use hard money for a down payment + a conventional loan for the balance - that's not a thing you can (or should!) do

    -hard money is short term financing - you would always be refinancing or selling, you don't use hard money to buy and hold. you use hard money for a flip or a BRRRR

    hope this helps

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Do you mean a conventional loan where you put 20% down? Hard money loans can sometimes be over 80% (depends on the lender) but they charge a lot, and I do mean a lot. Usually 12-15% interest and 3 to 5 points plus a variety of fees.

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    3y

    Consider FHA loan (3.5% Dow ) or NACA loan program (0% down).

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Vaeth:

    As a first time homebuyer, I was planning to use a conventional loan and put 3% down. However, I found an opportunity to purchase a duplex that's currently occupied with tenants. I considered using hard money to help in putting 20% down so I don't need to live there but being that it's already at the top of my price range, paying higher interest on the hard money on top of my monthly mortgage payment would be way too expensive. I would love to house hack but multi-family units are rare in the area even though it's rapidly growing. Right now, I rent a townhome that's at least 50% cheaper than most places in the area so I've been able to save more and more, but most likely won't afford a 20% down payment in my area anytime soon.

    For people who use hard money with, is it only worth it if you get a really good deal on the purchase price? Especially if you don't have the funds to put 20% yourself? 


     Scott, 

    We might have some investor programs that do not require 20% down. Either way, we might be able to help you on your investment goals. 

  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2023 · 215 posts · 99 votes
    3y

    Do your due diligence with inheriting tenants! Can you negotiate one of the units to be vacant so you can move in and use a FHA loan?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.