What do you think about the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ?

What do you think about the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ?

Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 0 votes

Hello BP ! I was wondering for experienced investors what do you think about Fannie Mae financing and being able to include the rehab in , and for investors you only put 10% down . In Florida , the interest for me would be 4.3% . My niche is to buy and rent and buy and hold . I could take advantage of the equity and refinance and pay the loan off . Is this something that experienced investors would capitalize on ?

0Reply
12 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Do you have a link to info on this program? Fannie & Freddie don't make loans directly. Rather, they buy the loans from "lenders" after the loan is made. I quote lenders because these lenders seem more like brokers than actual lenders, since they immediately resell their loans. I haven't seen any info on a new program like this. This would be a pretty helpful program for buy & hold investors.

  • Real Estate Investor · Trinity, FL · Member since 2013 · 67 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Rodney Hunter check your rates on the HomePath. You might be right, but my lender is quoting low to mid-5% with 10% down, low to mid-4% with 20% down. If I'm looking at a HomePath home I run the cash flow with 10% down and the higher rate and 20% down with the lower rate. Obviously one gives you a lower down payment and the other one gives you a higher net cash flow. For me it would depend on the house and the numbers.

    Jon Holdman here are the links - he's referencing the Fannie HomePath Loans and the Freddie HomeSteps Loan:

    http://www.homepath.com/financing.html

    http://www.homesteps.com/homesteps/financing/

  • Investor · Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2013 · 62 posts · 19 votes
    13y

    It sounds like he's talking about the Homepath Mortgage and Homepath Renovation programs. If you qualify and have less than 4 mortgages then you can get an investor loan for 10% down. If you have more than 4 mortgages then it will be 20% down + six months reserves and a 720+ credit score (may vary a little by lender). Renovations can be folded into a single mortgage (up to 35% ARV or $35k max). I used a Homepath lender to get around the appraisal requirement and it went fine. I think the rate may be a little higher than you could get otherwise but 4.3% doesn't sound that bad. However, as Jon said, you won't be getting a loan from Freddie or Fannie directly. It will be through a participating lender and there aren't as many as conventional lenders so you may have to shop around. It seems like a good program to me and my experience was pretty good but it also probably depends on the lender.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    And if you have 5 or more loans, FNMA won't even touch you. That's been our experience for the last year.

  • Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    @ Jon Holdman link at the bottom @ Glen Sonnenberg my lender would be PNC and my rate 4.3%. Thanks you guys

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/mortgage/homepath-loans/

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Wait. I'm seeing some conflicting info on here. Is this a change to the existing homepath program? I thought the rennovation program required 30% down if you were over 4 mortgages. Has that been changed to 20%?

  • Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    I am settling on 3 new properties which will bring me up to 5 fnma backed loans (including my primary residence and another underwater house).
    I have also been told that I will not be eligible for additional loans at this point.

    Any suggestions? My lender has suggested a "portfolio loan" but it looked to be adjustable rate and less attractive for my buy and hold strategy.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Chris Drury, I've been looking for additional solutions as well, including contacting many small banks in the area where I want to invest. So far, no luck. The portfolio loan was also suggested to me, but I believe it gets tricky when/if you want to sell off some of the properties in the portfolio. I'm interested in hearing how this plays out and what other options, besides private money, may come up.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    My portfolio lender offers 15 year fixed loans of 5/30 and 7/30 arms. There is no pre payment penalties and each loan is an individual loan so there is no problem selling homes if you want too.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Sounds interesting, who is your lender?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    They only lend in Colorado and Phoenix

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Ok, thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.