How to finance a rehab? Conventional vs hard money?
Is there a way to finance a rehab while getting a conventional loan to take advantage of the low rates right now? Or is it necessary to use a hard money lender to finance both the purchase and the rehab? I'm looking at a decent deal that should cash flow nicely but I don't have the cash to put down for the rehab. I could buy it easily, but not rehab it. I could also buy it, hold it un-rehabbed until my other purchase going through is re-financed, then use those funds to rehab it, but that's going to take a good chunk of a year to complete. I have never used a hard money lender before and don't understand the process/conditions well enough to be sure of my analysis.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
Here's the deal:
Duplex in North Carolina. 2 beds 1 bath each side. Needs major work, roof, HVAC, new floors throughout, kitchen cabinets maybe salvageable, needs kitchen appliances, bathrooms wholly updated, stacked washer/dryer installed, walls and ceiling painted, baseboards updated. Also needs landscaping and curb appeal improvements like paint, some porch railing, etc.
Purchase price $50k
Expected rehab cost $40k
ARV about $120k, possibly $130k.
Will rent for minimum $650 each side. So $1300 total.