Any lenders to purchase property in Puerto Rico?

Any lenders to purchase property in Puerto Rico?

Property Manager · Hallandale, FL · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 11 votes

I have talked to a lot of lenders and most only lend in the U.S. I was wondering if it was possible to get lending from a bank in the U.S. (no Puerto Rico banks) to purchase a rental in Puerto Rico. Since Puerto Rico is technically part of the U.S.

Thanks,

0Reply
31 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    A SFR may be too small a deal for someone to go overseas. I have resources that will lend in Puerto Rico and the US Territories but they usually lend on bigger commercial deals.

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes
    7y

    if you are seeking financing in PR, then you will need to use a bank that is located on PR. That is part of the lending rules down there. 

    Credit unions are supposed to be pretty good down there. 

  • Jose BrandaoPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Joel Gierbolini talk to @Lawrence Johnson he works for a lender in PR and they lend to non PR residents. Met with him last year during my research phase. Really nice and knowledgeable guy.

  • Property Manager · Hallandale, FL · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Aaron T. Thanks! So far I have not found anybody good lol I qualified for bigger loans in the U.S. but in PR banks are more strict.

  • Property Manager · Hallandale, FL · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Dale Ferrell thank you!!!

  • Property Manager · Hallandale, FL · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Jose Brandao thanks a lot! I will definitely reach out to him

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joel Gierbolini:

    @Aaron T. Thanks! So far I have not found anybody good lol I qualified for bigger loans in the U.S. but in PR banks are more strict.

    yes, things are little different down there. for instance, they are telling me that because I don't have my 2018 taxes done yet, they can't pre qualify for another mortgage. just weird stuff like that, but you learn as you go.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.