Opportunity cost of switching to a conventional w/ private lender

Opportunity cost of switching to a conventional w/ private lender

Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 4 votes

This week I went under contract on a duplex that I planned to finance with an FHA loan at 3.5% down. Right after I told my family about the deal, my dad reached out to me by surprise and told me he'd be willing to lend me the money to enable me to use a conventional loan. His suggestion would mean giving me the remaining 16.5% of a 20% down payment and that I would repay him over 4-5 years with only 2% interest. This is no doubt a generous offer for him to make but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it would actually be the right financial decision for me. Please forgive me for the novel but below are the relevant facts:

-My lender has told me that this would not cause any issues if I made a decision to change this by Monday as far as the closing process goes.

-This is my first rental property and my goal is to progressively scale as quickly as possible within reason and to hold my properties long term.

-The deal already works out acceptably as an FHA loan with 3.5% down. If I switched to a 20% down conventional loan, cashflow would increase by roughly $200/month (before taking into account repaying my dad).

-If I borrowed his 16.5% down on a $136k purchase price and I paid him back at 2% interest over 4 years, that would cost me $487/month. Over 5 years would be $393/month.

So basically my concern is that for those first 4 to 5 years, I would be redirecting all my cash flow plus some disposable income in order to repay my dad. This would noticeably slow down my ability to save up for a down payment on my next property which means there would be an opportunity cost to accepting his offer. I am relatively young at 27 and want to use my available time to my advantage. I am having a hard time making a decision on this one. I really appreciate people sticking around and reading through all this. Any input on this would be very valuable to me.

0Reply
19 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Havre De Grace, MD · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    @Bret Kingcade

    Sounds like your goal is cash flow. If that is what you are looking for, rework the math a few times to be sure it is correct and go with the flow.

    Don't forget to include PMI in your FHA loan versus not paying it in the conventional. Also, ask your lender about PMI in the FHA loan after you have reached 80% LTV. Most modern FHA 3.5% loans continue PMI even after you go below the 80% LTV which means that cost will continue or you will have to pay for another loan to get rid of it.

    You might want to also research which option has the most impact on your taxes as well. 

    Also -- you might also discuss your future plans with your Dad and see if he is interested in a JV on a rental. Sounds like he believes in your ability and might be able to help you scale faster.

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Thanks for the reply. I've done my homework on the different types of loans and have factored the mentioned items into my analyses. The gray area for me is in trying to determine whether or not the faster scalability with my current FHA loan would end up building more long term wealth than accepting the offer and going the conventional route. My gut is telling me that the correct decision would be to decline the offer since I do not intend for this to be my only property. My reasoning is that I believe I can purchase another property within the next 2-3 years that will build me more wealth than the additional cashflow over 30 years that comes from accepting his offer and delaying my second property purchase. However, with the amount of variables involved, the math isn't very simple so I wanted to check and see if other people on here think my logic checks out or not. Any input on this question would be much appreciated.

    PS: As for the joint venture, I'd prefer to not factor that as an option at this time. I would hate to feel like I am taking advantage of his kindness and would like to demonstrate a proven track record of investment success before accepting an offer like that from him (even though this current offer is admittedly somewhat similar). Perhaps I am overly prideful but there is value to me in being able to say that "I did it on my own". 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    You realize of course fha is for owner occupied only.....can’t imagine you have Any cash flow with only half rented. Typically you can Not borrow a portion of the down payment on conventional and you can’t have a “gift” on non owner occupied.
  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Wayne Brooks Yes, I plan on only living there 1 year and not much longer than that. The cash flow comparison was for it being fully rented after I move out. I ran all of this by my mortgage banker already so the other part should not be an issue unless he misspoke. Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.