Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Yeats
  • Lender
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Votes |
The Scam that will Not Die

Kevin Yeats
  • Lender
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Posted Sep 21 2010, 08:31

Since several thread appeared (and disappeared) here on BP offering seemingly too-good-to-be-true funding, I thought I would add this topic.

This thread discusses the long-lived prime bank note scam

http://investorswatchdog.com/blog/investorswatchblog/?p=876

from the article:

Prime bank scams usually claim that there is a

User Stats

Votes
Vikram C.#5 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Sep 21 2010, 17:27

Why do people come up with such elaborate scams? Can't they apply their creativity and effort towards an honest purpose and make more money?

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Hancock#4 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Sep 21 2010, 22:12

They could, but some people spend the bulk of their lives trying to figure out how to steal from others. Unfortunately a bunch of these idiots travel in the real estate circles!

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Sep 22 2010, 04:40

If we had some forum dedicated to the scams and exposing scammers, this thread would surely belong there.

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Sep 22 2010, 05:16
Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
If we had some forum dedicated to the scams and exposing scammers, this thread would surely belong there.
No doubt!

User Stats

Votes
John Roth
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 19 2011, 17:47

I get these emails daily. Today if I had a BG, SBLC, MTN, CD or good old cash they will give me 288% in two days non rescourse loan. This was the best one yet. And of course they all have g mail accounts.

User Stats

Votes
Darryl Dahlen
  • Commercial Loan Officer
  • Southern Maine, ME
Votes |
  • Commercial Loan Officer
  • Southern Maine, ME
Replied Jan 19 2011, 20:50

I see these scams being offered all the time. Unfortunately, there is a pool of borrowers who are so desperate for funds that enough of them bite on these scams to keep them alive. Almost always, they loose a large sum of money. Too bad, if they only did their DD they would most certainly be able to save themselves future grief.

However, some of these scams are based on a thread of truth. A person can certainly monetize a BG, SBLC, CD, etc. with little problem IF the transaction is real.

The problem lies in brokers/intermediaries who try to put these instruments into a borrower's hands often by leasing them. The fees to do so are often exorbitant, and from what I've seen, these transactions always fall apart.

Often times, the "provider" will provide a front copy of say an SBLC, but what really matters is the back copy. That is where a bank can verify who the actual owner of the instrument is. If the names on the front and back copy don't match, no bank is going to monetize the instrument. If the names match, it is a simple transaction, but if a person could obtain a 50MM SBLC from HSBC then they are in a different league then most and certainly don't need a broker to help them.

My personal favorite is the trading platform scams. Not only are the returns off the wall ridiculous, but it is impossible to verify references since they all hide behind privacy laws.

I look at it this way. If trading platforms could provide the returns they claim, wouldn't it be safe to assume that Warren Buffet wouldn't be investing in stocks??

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Kronowit
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jan 20 2011, 00:51

Why the heck would I invest in some "medium term note" when I already have the dethroned prince of Nigeria promising me $25 million dollars if I simply give him my bank account info and $2,500 to get his money out of Africa?

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Jan 21 2011, 02:18

I'm glad you did that Mitch because the prince then had enough money to buy my ocean front property located in Las Vegas I sold him! Cha Ching for me.

User Stats

Votes
James Hiddle
  • Altus, OK
Votes |
  • Altus, OK
Replied Jan 21 2011, 04:02
Originally posted by Mitch Kronowit:
Why the heck would I invest in some "medium term note" when I already have the dethroned prince of Nigeria promising me $25 million dollars if I simply give him my bank account info and $2,500 to get his money out of Africa?

Hmmm I have a retired British doctor wanting to transfer his 100 million pounds to my bank account. By doing so I can keep 10% so I'm going to get rich really soons now!!!!!!!