HELOC for new construction land

HELOC for new construction land

San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 58 posts · 2 votes

OK, I'm getting ready to undergo a new construction. I'm considering using a $180K HELOC on my first home and $120K cash to buy the land since actual construction may not start for a year or more, and $300K will be needed for the actual construction which will be financed construction-to-perm when the time comes. It's a duplex in a county that has a high borrowing limit for conforming loans. In the end, at closing, I want $480K of the 600K total financed throught the mortgage (80% LTV). My ?: What happens at closing? Does the mortgage lender reimburse me the $180K portion of the HELOC money I used up front so that I can then pay that portion off, or does the mortgage lender directly pay the HELOC provider? Thank in advance, any advice is appreciated.

0Reply
7 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @David F., if your mortgage provider agrees to an 80% LTV "construction-to-perm" Loan, I don't see why they wouldn't just give you the extra $180k.

    [Either way, it makes sense to pay off the HELOC, and re-invest it again on: another project!]

    Whether they, or you, pay it off at closing, shouldn't really matter, right? All the best...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.