Cash out refinance solutions

Cash out refinance solutions

Brandon HalleyPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 17 votes

I am currently attempting to refinancing one of my flips that I have decided to make my primary residence. I originally bought it with private money for 80 and borrowed another 80 for the remodel for a total of 160 + interest. It just appraised at 275.  

Before the purchase I thought that refinancing may be on the horizon so I went into a bank and told them my situation in detail. Including the possibility that I may change title from my business to my name and live in it. They said that if my numbers were as expected there should be no prob. 6 months later. So 6 months later I went in again to say lets move forward and they said I needed to season for an additional 6 months after I changed title. Ouch! I thought we went over this clearly.

So, I start shopping around again. After explaining my situation, the first question to every potential lender was 'Do i need the 6 month seasoning?' I found a highly recommended local guy who said it was no problem. We locked in a rate, got an appraisal, and we are currently about a week from closing. He calls me yesterday and says, turns out we need to wait 6 months after you change title. WTF! But his solution is that we can still refi for the money I owe- just no cash out. Then, is recommending a HELOC for the rest. I dont like this option because the rate I locked is higher because it was supposed to be a cash-out, and I was planning on taking 80% LTV which he said added another 1/8. My plan was to use the cash for a down payment on a rental. So a HELOC I don't believe is not ideal. I am young and my strategy is something like.. borrow as much for as cheap and as long as you can.

So do I blow this guy off and keep shopping? Wait 6 months while paying higher interest and try again? Do the refi for what I owe no cash out and HELOC for the rest? Are there any lenders who actually know what they are talking about? Sick of hearing one thing and getting another.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
9y

The main risk you're taking in waiting the 6 months is paying a higher rate, as rates are slowly creeping up. Have you talked to any portfolio lenders in town? They don't have the same requirements as lenders who are just going to resell your loan.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    9y

    @Brandon Halley

    I think if you were able to provide a lease and show it's making money, you would have better results.  If you do a cash-out now and a heloc later, you're going to be paying two different origination fees and closings.  I would just wait until you can cash-out the appraised value.

    Look up Legacy Mutual Mortgage out of Austin TX and ask for Lisa Love.  She's a great, knowledgeable loan officer.  I have cashed-out twice with her and it was a good experience.

    You will most likely have to wait for it to season if you're planning on occupying it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    9y

    The main risk you're taking in waiting the 6 months is paying a higher rate, as rates are slowly creeping up. Have you talked to any portfolio lenders in town? They don't have the same requirements as lenders who are just going to resell your loan.

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Brandon Halley

    You should reach out to a mortgage broker that specializes in investment property. I would tell him/her your scenario and he/she will find a bank that will work that angle. Where is the property at? I know many mortgage brokers in Austin area. They are always trying to solicit me for business.  The mortgage broker is the way to go, though. Best of luck.  

  • Wholesaler · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2017 · 276 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    We have absolutely no seasoning on cash-out refi's BUT we do not lend on those in Colorado, unfortunately. We are out there, just have to check around.

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 227 votes
    9y

    @Brandon Halley Typically if you have 100% ownership of the business it was purchased under and then are transferring title to your personal name, you don't need to season for another 6 months. Are you a 100% owner of the business?

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 111 posts · 64 votes
    9y

    Before I start here...I am NOT a financial professional, so take everything I say here with a grain of salt & verify with your own CPA or finance professional!! Plus the rules in Colorado on HELOCs may be different than the rules in the state of Texas...and I am speaking about Texas specifically.

    With regards to Texas HELOCS, a couple of cautions: (1) In Texas you can ONLY get a HELOC on your primary residence. And (2) you can not get a HELOC if you did a cash out re-fi on the last re-fi of the home. So, you can do a re-fi, then a HELOC, but you can't get a HELOC if you've previously gotten cash out on your re-fi, and you can't get a HELOC if, inbetween the re-fi and the HELOC, you turned the property into a NOO investment. These rules may be specific to Texas, as they bit my husband and me in the rear when we took a small amount of cash out (~$30K) on our primary residence, then 7 years later tried to get a HELOC using the ~$200K of equity we currently have in our primary residence! We found out our only option is to re-fi again!

    In general, I like HELOCs over re-fis if you do not need to have the cash in large chunks for long periods of time. So whether you want to use a HELOC and re-fi vs just a cash out re-fi depends somewhat on the intended use of the money.

    Examples:

    1. If you plan on using a large chunk, let's say $50K, for the down payment on a rental property, and you plan on keeping the rental property for longer than 7 years, the cash-out re-fi may be the way to go. That way your $50K is at a lower interest rate and there is no hurry to pay it off if you decide to keep the investment property longer. 

    2. If you plan to sell the investment property in 5(-ish) years or less and/or need a smaller amount of money that you believe you could pay back in 5(-sh) years or less, the HELOC may be the better option. The reason is because you can pay that money off, and once you do, you don't owe any interest any more! The same theory applies if you need money for repairs... with a HELOC you may be able to borrow an amount, then borrow another amount, etc. and you only pay on what is being borrowed... not the full value of the HELOC.

    Once again, I am NOT a lawyer, lender, CPA, etc., so check everything! ;-)

  • Brandon HalleyPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Wow great stuff thanks. @Linda Osborn@Jared Bouzek@Aaron Gordy@Kris Wong@Justin Fox@George Taylor I'm actually in SW Colorado but is it just some weird coincidence that everyone responding to this was from Texas? I am literally going to Austin tmrw. Nice folks down there!

    Yes i am 100% owner of the business and it has owned it for 2 years. 

    I think after some thought and advice I will try and find a new broker. But, I'm still a bit hestitant on protocol of getting rid of my old one. I feel extremely disrespected by him because he told me he could do the cash out refi w out seasoning and i was very clear about my situation. Now he is saying he can only do the refi on what I owe my private lender. I have already locked a rate and had an appraisal. Do i have to pay for the appraisal? Can i use it again on the next try? 

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Brandon Halley Not everyone that responded was from Texas. @Jared Bouzek is from our great state. In your shoes, I would reach out to him. He seems to know his stuff and is in the same state as you are.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @George Taylor:

    We have absolutely no seasoning on cash-out refi's BUT we do not lend on those in Colorado, unfortunately. We are out there, just have to check around.

     What states do you lend in?  

  • Lender · Bethesda MD · Member since 2017 · 283 posts · 123 votes
    9y

    We don't require any seasoning for cash out refinance BUT we do require non-owner occupied properties only. Keep looking!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.