I Have A Rental Property I Need to Refi/Get Money From

I Have A Rental Property I Need to Refi/Get Money From

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 6 votes

So...kinda stuck.  

Was laid off from my job about a year ago. Have been plowing most of my savings into a startup since then and they're running low and spending my hours on the business vs looking for another full time gig. I have two 4-plex rental properties with a large amount of equity (one with nearly $500K and a 40% LTV, the other with about half of that). I want to find a way to pull cash ($200K) out of the rental property and invest in the business to get me over the hump (which is between now and March of 2016).

Issues:

-conventional mortgage or HELOC aren't going to fly (aka I wouldn't be approved for them), as I've had zero income for the past year

-savings are depleted from biz capital expenditures:  had a huge setback in April that tore through a lot of it, but I'm finally coming out of the nosedive in the last month and am on track to have the fist breakeven month of the company this December.  Based on conservative forecasts, I'm able to start paying down my debt by March 2016.  

-credit is still OK, in the 720s...I've taken out credit card debt with high balances, but I've been making the minimum payments and keeping them in good standing...I would use a chunk of the $200K mentioned above to pay them off

The options as I see them are:

1) Sell the property, do a 1031 exchange for the bulk of the value, and take the cash I need from the proceeds

2) Get a hard money loan against the equity (never done that before, but it sounds scary) and pay it back ASAFP 

Let me be CLEAR:  I am NOT soliciting for a specific type of loan or lender or anything that would violate the TOS, I'm just seeing if anyone knows what TYPE or CATEGORY of loan product might address the issue.  

What else...?  Seems weird that I have this valuable asset that I can't monetize, but I've not heard of a no-doc ('cause no paychecks) Home Equity Loan.  Any advice?

0Reply
14 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    HI - account was temporarily deleted for being my nickname, but am back now, so "bumping" - any advice...?

  • Investor · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 568 posts · 966 votes
    10y

    If your fourplex is cashflowing well, then I would think that you may be able to find a private or hard money loan. I have seen several in the marketplace offering this product.

  • Private Money Lender · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    Hi Jay! There are some programs that might help. Let me know if I can help.

  • Forrest HoldenPro Member
    Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    I would sell one with a 1031 like you mentioned, take the money you need out and then purchase a decent property with cash so you maintain some cash flow. OR... If your four plex is making substantial cash flow, you could find a silent partner who is looking for an investment which does not require them to do any of the heavy lifting... Just thoughts...
  • Jared RineBusiness Member
    Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 277 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hunt...

    Sounds like you have some options.  I agree somewhat with Forrest if you really can't hold your position - to sell the property in a 1031, take the proceeds, get over the hump and re-establish.  It might put you in the best financial position for your business.

    If the 4-plex is cash flowing strong, then I'd look into probably obtaining some type of stated income bridge loan, whether it's through a private money investor, a friend, and/or a non-bank/portfolio lender who's offering these programs that would be able to underwrite off of the cash flow of the property.  Only thing with a portfolio lender is that reserves sound tight so that is probably not the way to go.  I'd find a silent partner or obtain a private money loan for the time being.  

    Obtaining a private money loan is not as scary as you think.  You just need to make sure your source(s) is credible.  Other than that, it's the same as getting money from a bank, except the "bank" is a private individual or pool of investor $$, and the rates are usually higher.  BUT they are usually more flexible with less 'red tape.'  

    Just my .02

    Jared Rine United Lending Partners53 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone!  I really appreciate it:  I'll let you know how it shakes out!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.