DTI score high when allowing new purchase of vacation rental

DTI score high when allowing new purchase of vacation rental

Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 5 votes

I need to see if anyone has any insight into this. My DTI score is at 48% high for a couple of reasons.

1.Husband has hourly job with required overtime and bonuses.  Only base is looked at which leaves out (rounded numbers) $11,000 as of 7/17/15 and at Year end will end up being about double this.  For 2013, this would be $15,000 and 2014 was $21,000.  This is going off of Gross pay on his check stubs.  Looking at the W-2 for 2014 his pretax deductions were $9307, so understates his gross pay.  What do the underwriters look at?

2.  $200 credit card minimums - pay credit card off except for cards with 0% interest

3. $676 -  2 car payments, $305 and $371

4. $100 Heloc loan

5. $580 rental loss from last year carried forward as a payment

6. $1700 new property - calculated using conservative numbers, real numbers would make it $1469 based on a 30 year loan.

DTI when he ran the numbers came back at 48% , with my new loan amount it would be 46%

2 questions

1. If I find an investment loan instead of a second home, is DTI still looked at? Is rental income of the new loan allowed to be added as income? What kind of down payment is required?

2. To change my expenses, I could pay the $371 car off with either a credit card, payoff is $13,000 credit card limit is $20,000, see if the credit card company will give me 12+ months no interest and just raise the minimum a little. Or pay it off from an advance on the HELOC which would then make the interest payment go from $100 to around $150 per month making this a $38,000 balance out of possible $50,000 that can be drawn. Would this help my overall credit rating and solve my DTI problem? Credit ratings now are around 780. Not sure if this is sensible to do. If we do this, how long is would it take to show the reflection on the credit report?

Have a house for sale that we will walk away from the closing table with about $52,000, will set $6,500 back for taxes and the remainder can be down payment on the vacation house and/or pay the car balance off, depends on the required down payment on the vacation rental.

Any advice would be nice

Thanks, Gayla

0Reply
12 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Forgot to add our primary residence is $1001

  • Investor · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    It has been my experience that they will not count future vacation rental income. The banks do not seem to like them for some reason. We own 3 and only have a loan on 1 but jumped through hoops to get the loan. Try a mortgage broker, but your only hope may be hard money. 

    I hope it works out for you. 

  • Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    The 1st item I noticed is that you are being told your Husband's OT/bonus income is not being counted, this should not be the case, if there is a 2 year history of receiving this income and it's increasing (as it appears it does) this should be used in your qualifying income in addition to the base. 

    DTI will always be looked at when securing a mortgage in today's "post Dodd-Frank" era so whether 2nd home or Investment this is the primary factor being examined.

    Personally I would not rob Peter to pay Paul on the credit cards & car loans as I feel you have a valid case on the income your Husband should get credit for. For down payments, you are looking at 10% down minimum on 2nd homes typically, then at least 15% down on investment properties (depending on how many units).

    I hope this helps please contact me if you wish to discuss further!

  • Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Thanks Robert, I was thinking about a mortgage broker

    Todd, I appreciate the advise.  I had asked that banker to see if I would be preapproved on the loan and could not believe they did not include that income.  Husband has been at this job for 8 years and yes these items of overtime/bonus/safety award are always there.  Overtime is guaranteed as it is a requirement.  If this does get considered, I believe we would also be okay.  Kind of gun shy to get declined again.    Will give it another try though.

  • Rental Property Investor · Friday Harbor, WA · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    Hi Gayla,

    I would pursue loans from a portfolio lender--community bank, credit union, etc.  They don't have to comply with the FNMA regs because they don't sell the loan and are more likely to consider income that you can reasonably demonstrate.  Plus, it can be the beginning of building a banking relationship that comes in handy in future deals.

    Tim

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.