Can I get advice on becoming a Mortgage broker?

Can I get advice on becoming a Mortgage broker?

Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone - I would really appreciate some advice since I am considering a career change. I have been a travel agent for 15 years and as everone knows it is a very frustraing, unprofitable business. It has served it's purpose, I have traveled to some awesome places, but it's time to make some money! I really think I want to move into selling mortgages. It seems like a pretty good parallel - consulting clients, finding the right product to fit their needs and budget, I think it really is really quite similar to what I do now in many ways.

I'm wondering how to go about getting my foot in the door of a new industry like this. I understand I need to take the online mortgage lending couse which I will do as soon as the Olympics are over. ;) I would really appreciate advice of what else I can do to get started, what your thoughts are entering this field in the current economic conditions, what advice you would give to newbies, etc. Will I have to start off processing loans to learn the process? If so, how long is it expectied to hold this sort of postion before moving into a selling position?

I had a brief conversation with someone localy who owned her own business and she basically said don't even try to get in until the housing market turns around. I think there are always people buying and refiing needing this services and I see jobs - not a lot but some - in the paper even in this climate.

Sorry for rambling, just looking for direction. Thanks for your time and input.

Kari

0Reply
25 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    18y

    Probably not the best choice for a new career. Lending is tightening up, and lots of mortgage brokers are switching to different jobs. New licensing requirements are being put into place in many states.

  • Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Thanks for your resopnse, could you elaborate a bit for me? I understand the industry is making some big changes but I'm wondering what is so "bad" about it that people are leaving? It seams to me there will always be people needing to purchase/refi real esate and a need for help to get mortgages. Is it just that tighter limitations equals less mortgages and less commissions than what brokers are used to in the last few years?
    Thanks again I am trying to understand as much as I can before taking the "leap",
    Kari

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    18y

    Yes, I think you have it. Three years ago money was easy and nearly free. Anyone could get a loan, so there were lots of brokers. Lots of people got into it. Now there are fewer and fewer loans available, so its harder work.

    There were bad apples who put people into loans they should never have had. State regulators are trying to prevent a repeat, and are putting licensing in place.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.