Hi everyone, I'm looking at investing in a deal in Indiana. It is a 16 unit apartment building not too far from Indianapolis. My question is, when you are looking to partner with someone to fund the down payment, what is the best way to find a partner without going to family/friends? Thanks!
Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
1y
@Matt Smith No, it doesn't. The cap rate is not equal to the return for the investor (or the GP either). The return is generally presented as either the IRR, Equity Multiple, or Cash on Cash Return.
Based on your numbers above, is the seller asking $859k for the property?
Hi everyone, I'm looking at investing in a deal in Indiana. It is a 16 unit apartment building not too far from Indianapolis. My question is, when you are looking to partner with someone to fund the down payment, what is the best way to find a partner without going to family/friends? Thanks!
Hey @Matt Smith. What type of investment return are you expecting from the property?
HI @Jaycee Greene, the current cap rate is 6.79%. However, current rents are on average $440 per unit, market rent is $600 per unit. So pro-forma cap rate is 10.28% with upside being the rent raises with no big capex needed. Hopefully that answers your question. Thanks!
Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
1y
@Matt Smith No, it doesn't. The cap rate is not equal to the return for the investor (or the GP either). The return is generally presented as either the IRR, Equity Multiple, or Cash on Cash Return.
Based on your numbers above, is the seller asking $859k for the property?
Understood, my apologies. I will calculate those numbers. No, the seller is asking $725k which is the main opportunity I see to value add. Raising rents to $600 per unit would increase the value of the property approx. $200k.
Understood, my apologies. I will calculate those numbers. No, the seller is asking $725k which is the main opportunity I see to value add. Raising rents to $600 per unit would increase the value of the property approx. $200k.
@Matt Smith Does the property need any rehab done to it?
Understood, my apologies. I will calculate those numbers. No, the seller is asking $725k which is the main opportunity I see to value add. Raising rents to $600 per unit would increase the value of the property approx. $200k.
@Matt Smith Does the property need any rehab done to it?
No. New roof and gutters, updated vinyl double pane windows, resurfaced parking lot, and upgraded main water line.
Understood, my apologies. I will calculate those numbers. No, the seller is asking $725k which is the main opportunity I see to value add. Raising rents to $600 per unit would increase the value of the property approx. $200k.
@Matt Smith Does the property need any rehab done to it?
No. New roof and gutters, updated vinyl double pane windows, resurfaced parking lot, and upgraded main water line.
@Matt Smith If you can raise rents like that, you've got quite the opportunity for you. Now, the trick is to get an investor that believes you can raise the rents like that so easily and quickly. If you can, you can triple your investor's money in a year!
Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 467 posts · 230 votes
1y
Start by attending real estate meetups, BiggerPockets forums, and local investor groups to connect with potential partners. Consider reaching out to private lenders, accredited investors, or real estate crowdfunding platforms. Structuring a joint venture (JV) or equity partnership can make the deal appealing by offering a share of cash flow and appreciation.
Have you considered reaching out to local real estate attorneys or CPAs for investor referrals?
How are you coming up with that much larger market rent for all those units?
Why is the rent so suppressed for all those units right now?
How much will you have to spend to make those units worth more to the renter?
Is this section 8-(or some kind of fixed income program) these units seem very low priced?
Just my 2 cents.
Hi Scott,
- I utilized the brokers information and then did my own research in 1 bedroom comps around the area and the 2025 Small Area FMRs for the county which are $730 for 1 bedrooms. Even though the FMRs are $730, I was conservative and used $600 for my Pro Forma
- The current owner hasn’t raised them at all because he didn’t want any turnover
4️⃣ Professional Referrals – CPAs, attorneys, and consultants can connect you with investors.
Hi Deven,
Just wanted to say I really appreciated your straightforward and practical advice on finding partners for 16-unit deals. Your breakdown of networking, private lenders, deal positioning, and professional referrals is spot-on.
It's refreshing to see such clear and actionable steps. I especially like the emphasis on strong deal positioning – highlighting the upside is crucial.
I was curious, have you personally partnered on a deal of this size using these strategies? If so, any insights or lessons learned you could share would be incredibly valuable.