Had anyone heard of Cogo Capital?

Had anyone heard of Cogo Capital?

Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 3 votes

I am just getting started in my real estate investing journey and I received an unsolicited message from Cogo Capital, a hard money lender focused on investors. I do not have many resources, but I am comfortable taking some risk and relying on my intelligence and research. However, before I engage with this company I wanted to ask the BP community if anyone had dealt with them or has any feedback on them. I appreciate it!

2Reply
470 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

Certified broker? Really?

I took two business law courses in college.  Do you think the state bar would have a problem with me calling myself a certified lawyer?  And what about that high school biology?  Could I call myself a certified doctor?

The term Certified Broker is intentionally deceptive in my view.  “Broker” is a legal term that often requires standardized coursework and a state license.  Try pulling this crap in CA and see if the DRE has a problem with it.

Interesting that COGO Capital references their CA DRE Brokers license on their website.  I mean, why bother to practice what you preach?

You don’t have to pay $20k+ to learn to broker loans.  Most of the large lenders have affiliate programs and will teach you for free to represent them. Otherwise, broker classes that lead to a real license are cheap.

If you want to become a real broker, earn a real license.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    So it turns out you're a racist troll. I don't know why these people allow Something Like You on their platform

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Lyvonne Parker:

    So it turns out you're a racist troll. I don't know why these people allow Something Like You on their platform

    Cry harder! 
  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 1 vote
    1y

    ‼️ **BEWARE – READ BEFORE ENROLLING** ‼️

    If you recently paid \$25,000 for the Master Broker Program, Secured Investment Corp. (SIC) recently sent out an email offering it to others for $2,500, a 90% discount.

    I attended the Certified Mortgage Investor 3-Day Webinar (7/7–7/9/25), expecting training. Instead, it mirrored the Broker Certification I’d previously attended: 3 days of scripted upselling, minimal content, and pressure to buy more.

    On Day 2, I privately messaged the host about the $2,500 price drop. I was ignored and the discount wasn't offered to the attendees.

    The sales funnel is carefully structured:
    ➡️ Upsells begin during the webinars
    ➡️ No onboarding during the 3-day refund window
    ➡️ No access to a coach before the refund period ends

    I signed on 6/17/25. I didn’t meet my coach Jerry, until 6/23, and he informed me that he wasn’t available to start training me until 7/10 and the next appt would follow 7/21/25. That’s nearly a full month without support.

    🔎 What I Experienced:
    • Asked detailed personal questions about my finances, assets and goals • Upsold into a $67,000+ package (with 1-on-1 coaching) with no immediate onboarding
    • Encouraged to use credit cards or 401(k) funds (proof in webinar)
    • Received no service before the refund window closed

    I was told I’d broker deals directly to COGO in California and keep my full fee. On the call with Jerry on 6/23/25, he told me all CA deals go through him, meaning I’d have to split commissions. I have a voicemail confirming this. That was never disclosed upfront by the rep who sold me, Nick Fiacco. Nick also admitted on a recorded call that he misinformed me. Still, the company has not acknowledged it or refunded me.

    My refund request (filed 7/1/25) was ignored until I escalated, giving them a deadline to respond by 7/11/25. I wasn’t offered to be reassigned a coach until 7/10, when I first heard back about my refund request.

    They also charge $22,997 for a VA from the Philippines (where average pay is $4–$5/hr, respectfully). Since requesting a refund, my VA calls were rescheduled twice this week.
    The invoice I received does not align with what I was told. I paid $24,997 for the certification now being sold for $2,500. When I asked how their “Loyalty Product Discount” was applied, they couldn’t explain.

    I also lost access to the live training I attended. Only outdated videos remain.

    ✝️ **On Tone vs. Tactics:**
    SIC and COGO Nation, uses faith-based language in presentations. In my experience, this seems to be a tactic to build trust while avoiding tough questions. Hosts regularly say, “Ask your BDC,” instead of answering in the webinar.

    I believe they used my desire to leave my 9–5 and my disclosed finances to pitch “opportunities” that now feel more like strategic high-pressure sales than mentorship.

    🧾 **Formal refund request submitted.**
    As of today, they are still holding my funds without delivering the services I paid for.
    ⚠️ Before You Enroll:
    ✅ Ask hard questions
    ✅ Get all terms, delivery timelines, and refund policies in writing
    ✅ Don’t let emotional appeals or spiritual language replace clear answers
    ✅ Research complaints, lawsuits and reviews

    In my opinion, this is a **sales machine**, not an educational program.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Eva Barnes:

      ‼️ **BEWARE – READ BEFORE ENROLLING** ‼️

      If you recently paid \$25,000 for the Master Broker Program, Secured Investment Corp. (SIC) recently sent out an email offering it to others for $2,500, a 90% discount.

      I attended the Certified Mortgage Investor 3-Day Webinar (7/7–7/9/25), expecting training. Instead, it mirrored the Broker Certification I’d previously attended: 3 days of scripted upselling, minimal content, and pressure to buy more.

      On Day 2, I privately messaged the host about the $2,500 price drop. I was ignored and the discount wasn't offered to the attendees.

      The sales funnel is carefully structured:
      ➡️ Upsells begin during the webinars
      ➡️ No onboarding during the 3-day refund window
      ➡️ No access to a coach before the refund period ends

      I signed on 6/17/25. I didn’t meet my coach Jerry, until 6/23, and he informed me that he wasn’t available to start training me until 7/10 and the next appt would follow 7/21/25. That’s nearly a full month without support.

      🔎 What I Experienced:
      • Asked detailed personal questions about my finances, assets and goals • Upsold into a $67,000+ package (with 1-on-1 coaching) with no immediate onboarding
      • Encouraged to use credit cards or 401(k) funds (proof in webinar)
      • Received no service before the refund window closed

      I was told I’d broker deals directly to COGO in California and keep my full fee. On the call with Jerry on 6/23/25, he told me all CA deals go through him, meaning I’d have to split commissions. I have a voicemail confirming this. That was never disclosed upfront by the rep who sold me, Nick Fiacco. Nick also admitted on a recorded call that he misinformed me. Still, the company has not acknowledged it or refunded me.

      My refund request (filed 7/1/25) was ignored until I escalated, giving them a deadline to respond by 7/11/25. I wasn’t offered to be reassigned a coach until 7/10, when I first heard back about my refund request.

      They also charge $22,997 for a VA from the Philippines (where average pay is $4–$5/hr, respectfully). Since requesting a refund, my VA calls were rescheduled twice this week.
      The invoice I received does not align with what I was told. I paid $24,997 for the certification now being sold for $2,500. When I asked how their “Loyalty Product Discount” was applied, they couldn’t explain.

      I also lost access to the live training I attended. Only outdated videos remain.

      ✝️ **On Tone vs. Tactics:**
      SIC and COGO Nation, uses faith-based language in presentations. In my experience, this seems to be a tactic to build trust while avoiding tough questions. Hosts regularly say, “Ask your BDC,” instead of answering in the webinar.

      I believe they used my desire to leave my 9–5 and my disclosed finances to pitch “opportunities” that now feel more like strategic high-pressure sales than mentorship.

      🧾 **Formal refund request submitted.**
      As of today, they are still holding my funds without delivering the services I paid for.
      ⚠️ Before You Enroll:
      ✅ Ask hard questions
      ✅ Get all terms, delivery timelines, and refund policies in writing
      ✅ Don’t let emotional appeals or spiritual language replace clear answers
      ✅ Research complaints, lawsuits and reviews

      In my opinion, this is a **sales machine**, not an educational program.


      yup in my opinion this is simply a guru type education system.. and just another guru upsell.
      being a mortgage broker is a ton of work you cant buy your way into it.
    • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Eva Barnes:

      ‼️ **BEWARE – READ BEFORE ENROLLING** ‼️

      If you recently paid \$25,000 for the Master Broker Program, Secured Investment Corp. (SIC) recently sent out an email offering it to others for $2,500, a 90% discount.

      I attended the Certified Mortgage Investor 3-Day Webinar (7/7–7/9/25), expecting training. Instead, it mirrored the Broker Certification I’d previously attended: 3 days of scripted upselling, minimal content, and pressure to buy more.

      On Day 2, I privately messaged the host about the $2,500 price drop. I was ignored and the discount wasn't offered to the attendees.

      The sales funnel is carefully structured:
      ➡️ Upsells begin during the webinars
      ➡️ No onboarding during the 3-day refund window
      ➡️ No access to a coach before the refund period ends

      I signed on 6/17/25. I didn’t meet my coach Jerry, until 6/23, and he informed me that he wasn’t available to start training me until 7/10 and the next appt would follow 7/21/25. That’s nearly a full month without support.

      🔎 What I Experienced:
      • Asked detailed personal questions about my finances, assets and goals • Upsold into a $67,000+ package (with 1-on-1 coaching) with no immediate onboarding
      • Encouraged to use credit cards or 401(k) funds (proof in webinar)
      • Received no service before the refund window closed

      I was told I’d broker deals directly to COGO in California and keep my full fee. On the call with Jerry on 6/23/25, he told me all CA deals go through him, meaning I’d have to split commissions. I have a voicemail confirming this. That was never disclosed upfront by the rep who sold me, Nick Fiacco. Nick also admitted on a recorded call that he misinformed me. Still, the company has not acknowledged it or refunded me.

      My refund request (filed 7/1/25) was ignored until I escalated, giving them a deadline to respond by 7/11/25. I wasn’t offered to be reassigned a coach until 7/10, when I first heard back about my refund request.

      They also charge $22,997 for a VA from the Philippines (where average pay is $4–$5/hr, respectfully). Since requesting a refund, my VA calls were rescheduled twice this week.
      The invoice I received does not align with what I was told. I paid $24,997 for the certification now being sold for $2,500. When I asked how their “Loyalty Product Discount” was applied, they couldn’t explain.

      I also lost access to the live training I attended. Only outdated videos remain.

      ✝️ **On Tone vs. Tactics:**
      SIC and COGO Nation, uses faith-based language in presentations. In my experience, this seems to be a tactic to build trust while avoiding tough questions. Hosts regularly say, “Ask your BDC,” instead of answering in the webinar.

      I believe they used my desire to leave my 9–5 and my disclosed finances to pitch “opportunities” that now feel more like strategic high-pressure sales than mentorship.

      🧾 **Formal refund request submitted.**
      As of today, they are still holding my funds without delivering the services I paid for.
      ⚠️ Before You Enroll:
      ✅ Ask hard questions
      ✅ Get all terms, delivery timelines, and refund policies in writing
      ✅ Don’t let emotional appeals or spiritual language replace clear answers
      ✅ Research complaints, lawsuits and reviews

      In my opinion, this is a **sales machine**, not an educational program.


       COGO is one of the best companies out there. I took my broker training in 2017. Guessing there is more to this story and yes you do have to run deals in California through Jerry as you need to be licensed and he is. This is normal. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    1y

    They're not selling a mortgage broker program. I brokered 250+ private money loans after taking Private Money Broker in 2017. It is one of the best programs out there. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · NM · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Kenneth T.:

    I am just getting started in my real estate investing journey and I received an unsolicited message from Cogo Capital, a hard money lender focused on investors. I do not have many resources, but I am comfortable taking some risk and relying on my intelligence and research. However, before I engage with this company I wanted to ask the BP community if anyone had dealt with them or has any feedback on them. I appreciate it!


     Good morning Kenneth, did you finally use this company? They reached out to me as well. Thank you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.