Challenge to Pay Closing Costs While Abroad

Challenge to Pay Closing Costs While Abroad

Rental Property Investor · Munich, Germany · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hey BP fam,

I am under contract for my first investment property (Woot!). For closing costs/down payment, the title company says I can pay using only: 1.) wire transfer, or 2.) personal/cashier check, if provided 2 weeks in advance... The trouble is, I am currently living outside the US, and my bank, located in the US, requires IN-PERSON wire transfers. And I cannot get a check made out in time (also due to my location situation). Does anyone have any advice for how I can get my funds to the title company in time for closing?

Here are some potential solutions I've thought of:

1.) I open an account at an online-only bank, such as Ally Bank, which allows for online wire transfers. I then transfer my funds from my current bank using ACH or whatever online transfer methods they allow. Then I can wire transfer the closing costs to the title company from Ally Bank.

2.) I transfer my funds from the current bank to a family member in the USA using ACH or whatever online transfer methods they allow. Then that family member executes a wire transfer to the title company.

If interested, here are some background details:

The property is a duplex in Lakewood, OH. I'm using a conventional 30yr mortgage which requires 25% down. My current bank holding the funds is Huntington National Bank. I am living in Munich, Germany for a temporary (2.5 yr) work assignment. Before moving abroad, I lived in Lakewood, and there is a good chance I will return to the CLE area when the international assignment is done next year.

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
4y

Why can't you do a wire transfer from your current location and your current bank account (assuming you have one in the country you are currently in) to the title company?  You should be able to do a global wire transfer from your US bank through online banking.  Talk to the bank and ask, it might be called something different (global money transfer), but it is the same thing.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    You could send it to me and I'll deliver it.

    Seriously, I recommend opening an account with an online bank that allows for international, online transfers. Keep it open for future purchases.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I bank with Huntington and theyre great but they do require those in person fundings.....i would do the online route....it allows you to control everything rather than sending to a family member........

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Why can't you do a wire transfer from your current location and your current bank account (assuming you have one in the country you are currently in) to the title company?  You should be able to do a global wire transfer from your US bank through online banking.  Talk to the bank and ask, it might be called something different (global money transfer), but it is the same thing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Munich, Germany · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Why can't you do a wire transfer from your current location and your current bank account (assuming you have one in the country you are currently in) to the title company?  You should be able to do a global wire transfer from your US bank through online banking.  Talk to the bank and ask, it might be called something different (global money transfer), but it is the same thing.


     Huntington National Bank does not have any branches in my location (Munich Germany). I called the bank to see if other options are available, and one person suggested using Western Union. There are Western Union branches in Munich, but I've never used that before. I'll need to do some research.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    4y

    @Andrew Kennedy...you should be able to  wire  funds  from any bank to any other bank ...be  extremely careful and  triple  check  the  wiring instructions  you are  provided   with  a  call  to the  parties  involved  (  as there is a ton of  wore fraud  happening for the past  several yrs) 

  • Julee FelsmanPro Member
    Lender · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 136 votes
    4y

    @Andrew Kennedy I 100% concur with the posts suggesting the online bank. 

    But... KEEP YOUR LENDER IN THE LOOP. If you send money to closing from a bank account your lender has not verified, they won't close until they circle back and verify the account and the transfer of funds between your Huntington account and the new account. 

    If you keep your lender posted they can document things as you go, have the underwriter sign off on the new account and avoid a delay to your closing. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Munich, Germany · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    UPDATE:

    I opened a savings account at an online-only bank which offers online-initiated wire transfers. I was able to transfer all necessary funds from Huntington Bank using the bill pay/ACH transfer method, then execute the wire transfer to the title company.

    This wasn't a completely painless process: The new bank typically does not allow transfers >$25k on accounts opened within the last 90 days, so I had to request an exception, which led to me needing to provide a bunch of verification documentation. Luckily the bank has 24-hour phone support, and they completed the process within a day. And, as suggested/predicted by @Julee Felsman, I had to to verify the the moving of funds between banks and write a letter of explanation for the lender.

    Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread! I close on the property this week (using another less-common process, video notary).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.