What do you wish you'd known about money?

What do you wish you'd known about money?

Rental Property Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2018 · 156 posts · 529 votes

Yet another chance to be featured in the next issue of BiggerPockets Wealth Magazine—and it's a question that everyone can answer!

In 50 words or less, let us know: What do you wish you'd known about money when you were younger?

By responding here, you're allowing us to print your name and response, if chosen, in the next issue of the magazine. We're excited to hear what you have to say!

1Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y

I wish I'd known that extreme frugality is not fulfilling. Be smart with your money, but enjoy the fruits of your labor from time to time.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    I wish I'd known that extreme frugality is not fulfilling. Be smart with your money, but enjoy the fruits of your labor from time to time.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    I knew absolutely nothing. My parents raised me to have the same complete blank in my brain about personal finance they had. They even saw virtue in their ignorance. Brushing away decades of cobwebs about money out of my head has been a key part of my adult learning.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    I wish I'd known earning money didn't have to be a direct result of my time or effort sooner.  Investing in real estate allows us to continue to earn money long after the time and effort has been spent. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jordan, MN · Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Kaylee Walterbach

    Inflation is a hidden tax on all Americans. The best hedge against inflation is owning real estate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Souderton, PA · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 106 votes
    5y

    @Kaylee Walterbach

    Leverage your time, energy and resources early on. Become financially literate. Once you realize how money works, it makes it hard to spend money on liabilities.

    Start your side hustle and don’t say no to opportunities. Save as much money as possible and buy as many assets as you can.

    Jake Lapp 24 years old 3 househacks 7 units

  • Handyman · MN · Member since 2020 · 92 posts · 46 votes
    5y

    Income does not matter. Managing time and expenses makes the difference. 

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    5y

    @Kaylee Walterbach

    I never would've bought a starter home After getting married, I would have house hacked for a couple of years. I also wouldn't have taken on school loans, I should've spent more time finding scholarships and other ways to pay for school such as finding a cheaper in state school I wish I would have started investing in Roth IRA at a younger age because of compound interest.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    The power that money has over time; time is what truly allows income turn into wealth. The earlier you start, the longer your money will be able to work for you. Many investments have the power to multiply your wealth over time, and real estate is one of the best.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Compound interest is great however key to creating wealth is using debt to buy stable cash flowing assets.

  • Investor · MI · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 478 votes
    5y

    Just because you have a lot of it doesn't mean you're happy. 

  • New to Real Estate · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Kaylee Walterbach I grew up with the mindset that the only way to wealth was by winning the lottery or lying and cheating your way through life. I wish I knew that money doesn't change who you are, it amplifies who you already are.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.