Cash out Refi Nets Me $400k, how to put it to work?

Cash out Refi Nets Me $400k, how to put it to work?

New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 105 posts · 49 votes

I can put a mortgage on a second home which I own free and clear. I’ll get $400k at 3.85%

I’m a newbie and interested in multi family. How do I invest to be sure the investment can pay the monthly mortgage payment for me? Ideally as a lp with the ability to learn from the GP??

Are their deal structures that for example would pay me out 8% a month to cover the mortgage payment with some extra for cash flow?

My current salary cannot handle another mortgage payment so I need the deal to cover it about 60-90 days in.

Advice is appreciated.....

0Reply
13 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Matt StricklenPro Member
    Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2020 · 224 posts · 152 votes
    5y

    What about a line of credit instead of a mortgage. Use just enough to BRRRR a property, rinse, repeat.

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Matt Stricklen:

    What about a line of credit instead of a mortgage. Use just enough to BRRRR a property, rinse, repeat.

    Second this. Instead of an inflexible long term mortgage take a look at flexible HELOC options. That way you can throttle how much cash to pull out (and the corresponding payment) depending on your salary, the deals you have to work on, etc.

  • Investor · Ontario · Member since 2015 · 486 posts · 250 votes
    5y

    Hey @Louis Zameryka In terms of ensuring your next property cash flows you can simply put more money down on it. With 400k available you are not restricted to the typical 25% down payment that most investors face. Simply put more down 35%, 50% etc then run the numbers that make sense for you. 

  • New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 105 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    @Jason Shackleton thanks for the advice. Would you choose a small multi family(2-4doors) in my situation or large multifamily as part of a Jv or syndicate?

  • New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 105 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    @Joe Norman Hi Joe, Thanks for the reply.

    I’m not interested to work on the property, I’m interested in being more passive. Would you recommend multifamily syndicate or jv to meet my needs?

  • Investor · Ontario · Member since 2015 · 486 posts · 250 votes
    5y

    Hey @Louis Zameryka That really depends on your market. The price per property will determine what building you shoud buy. It sounds like you do not want to do any work on the buildings. That being said If I were you I would do a higher downpayment amount on a small multifamily and hire out a property manager. you could also do a syndication for a completly passive deal with lower returns and less worry.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.