• Charlotte, NC
Votes |
How to deal with trees

Yashank Choksi
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Jan 3 2021, 08:14

Hello all,

Hope y'all are off to a great start this year. I have a huge maple tree around 12 feets away from my home. Is it advisable to remove the tree? If yes, what are the ways I can spend the minimum amount of money?

Thanks,

Yashank

User Stats

Votes
Lamont Chen
  • Realtor
  • Hudson County, NJ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Hudson County, NJ
Replied Jan 3 2021, 09:00

@Yashank Choksi

Some towns may have minimum requirements for trees/shrubs on your property so you can check with your town. If you are going to remove it the landscaping crew should be able to give you an estimate to cut the tree down to the stump vs grinding/pulling roots out.

User Stats

Votes
Fernan Nava
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Barstow, CA
Votes |
  • Barstow, CA
Replied Jan 3 2021, 09:56

I hate trees, they pee and poo and I have to clean up after them all for free. In addition they crack concrete work and walls and get into drain lines. Trees are a  nono in rental properties. That said though some trees are protected by state law or federal law and if you chopped one those protected ones down, you could loose your underwear. So first make sure is not a protected tree and if your mayor is a democrat check for local ordinances if any in this endeavor, Once you are in the clear legally, the cheapest way of course is to do it yourself. This tree you say is 12 feet if that is the trunk your describing it might not be a diy project, the cheapest way will be to call a pro lets you try yourself and cause and accident or other damage to property that could cost you dearly. Good luck man.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Yashank Choksi
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 4 2021, 13:40

Hey @Lamont Chen! Thank you for guiding me on this. I have a question here. What if someone gives me a low quote but is not insured. Is it advisable taking that risk?

User Stats

Votes
Yashank Choksi
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 4 2021, 13:43

Hey @Fernan Nava! Thanks for replying. Yes, I wouldn't dare cut it by myself as it's a big one. I might call someone professional to do the job. Is there any way I can sell the wood or something related in which I can recover some of the costs?

User Stats

Votes
Lamont Chen
  • Realtor
  • Hudson County, NJ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Hudson County, NJ
Replied Jan 4 2021, 13:47

@Yashank Choksi If they are not insured and the tree falls in the wrong direction onto your neighbors house it can cause some problems. :)

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 4 2021, 13:58

@Yashank Choksi make sure whomever does the work is insured. See proof of insurance and actually call their insurance company to make sure it is current. They could accidentally drop the tree on your house or your neighbors house. They could also hurt one of their workers and since it happened on your property, it becomes an insurance claim on your insurance. One time I had a tree company damage several panels of my sidewalk, which is another reason you want them to have insurance.

I have trees that are 12 feet from a house and although not ideal, it may not be worth the expense to remove. Keep in mind a tree can provide shade to reduce cooling costs and can provide beauty to increase value. Also be aware that stump grinding is an extra charge on top of tree removal, so plan for that expense. Also be aware the ground will continue to settle for many years as the roots rot, so plan to back fill dirt every couple years.

User Stats

Votes
Yashank Choksi
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 4 2021, 14:52

Hey @Joe Splitrock! Thank you for such a thorough explanation. I have a follow-up question for you. don't you think that that 12 feet away tree may damage the foundation of the house anytime in the future?

User Stats

Votes
Fernan Nava
  • Barstow, CA
Votes |
  • Barstow, CA
Replied Jan 4 2021, 14:59

Hey Yashank, yes to the question. The practicality of that depends on your local climate. I live in the desert where we have extreme winters so there are quite a few people selling wood as a bussiness. If you don’t find buyers at least post on offer up or. Craigslist for free wood and that will cut down on dumping fees. Some counties allow for free dumping of green waste or sometimes they give you a card check yours.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 5 2021, 05:40
Originally posted by @Yashank Choksi:

Hey @Joe Splitrock! Thank you for such a thorough explanation. I have a follow-up question for you. don't you think that that 12 feet away tree may damage the foundation of the house anytime in the future?

A tree that big should probably be 20 feet away, but just because it is closer doesn't mean it will damage. 

User Stats

Votes
Grigory Pekarsky
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago
Replied Nov 10 2021, 13:36

In certain circumstances, removing a large tree from your property could be the best option - but it is not without its consequences. Here are some of the pros and cons to consider when removing a huge tree near a home.

A large tree can have a number of benefits for your property and surrounding area. Most obviously, trees provide us with shade and shelter. A newly planted sapling or seedling is likely to grow into a full grown tree over time which, in addition to providing you with similar protection, could also increase your property value. Root growth near your foundation can cause structural damage; the most common symptom of this is shifting soil that damages basement walls and flooring by pushing them outwards. Although small roots pose less of a threat than major ones (and they're easier to remove), it is important to consider their removal as soon as they appear. In addition there are often ecological concerns that come into play when you think about removing a tree from your yard. For example an ecologist may consider the removal of a native plant species - even if it's just one individual - as "genetic erosion" which could lead to future negative impacts on ecosystems.

The answer is not always simple and both approaches have their pros and cons. The final decision whether to remove or keep the tree comes down to weighing up all these factors, considering the unique conditions surrounding each case, and making a balanced choice.