Can Wholesalers use Lease Options to Control the Deal?

Can Wholesalers use Lease Options to Control the Deal?

Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2020 · 58 posts · 20 votes

I'm assuming most wholesalers use purchase contracts, but does anyone use a lease options to control the deal and then look for a buyer?

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
5y

@Joel Hutchinson

Love grant kemp but what your describing is technical and has a lot of moving parts and I’d say your probably going to run into problems more often than not . Lease options offer the least control . Just easier to flip a contract and gather cash

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joel Hutchinson:

    I'm assuming most wholesalers use purchase contracts, but does anyone use a lease options to control the deal and then look for a buyer?

    What’s your end game? Are you wanting to Lease a property or you wanting to wholesale the property? 
    there’s what is known as sandwich lease options that some people swear by, but I have never done a sandwich lease option, because I wanted to make sure I had control of the property and not just subleasing so to speak. I have done lease options, but I was on title when I did. A little bit of clarity on what you are trying to accomplish would go a long way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2020 · 58 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Thank You Joe S,

    Eventually my goal is to do buy and hold rentals, although I'm also considering the strategy described by Grant Kemp in Podcast 70 that involves controlling a deal for 60 days with a lease option, finding a new buyer, purchasing the property from the seller with subject 2 or owner financing, and then selling the property to the new buyer with a new WRAP mortgage. It's essentially a form of mortgage arbitrage, and because the deal is controlled with a lease option, the downside is limited if you can't find a new buyer. And this (podcast 70) is why I raised the question about wholesaling. If lease options, with nearly zero downside, can be used in these complicated subject 2 and WRAP mortgage arbitrage deals, is anyone using them in wholesaling? Or am I just missing something here??

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
  • Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
    5y

    @Joel Hutchinson

    Love grant kemp but what your describing is technical and has a lot of moving parts and I’d say your probably going to run into problems more often than not . Lease options offer the least control . Just easier to flip a contract and gather cash

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2020 · 58 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Thank You Joe S and Dennis Wayne for the great feedback. Sounds like simply flipping a contract is the best way to go. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.