Mortgage Hacking: Why I Paid My Mortgage Six Months in Advance

Mortgage Hacking: Why I Paid My Mortgage Six Months in Advance

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes

At one point somehow I accidentally paid my mortgage on an investment property twice in the same month.

That was dumb, I thought, after realizing my mistake. However, instead of calling the bank and trying to get the money back, I figured I’d skip next month’s payment and get myself back in balance that way once again. No problem, I thought. This is an easy fix.

But then over a short period of time I realized that, no, actually it hadn’t been a dumb mistake at all. It was one of the best blunders I could have possibly made because over the next few weeks I realized how well I was sleeping at night.

At first I didn’t know why.

Eventually I was able to connect the dots and understand the secret to deep rejuvenating sleep was putting myself one month ahead on my mortgage payments. This, it turned out, would help avoid any possible underlying worries I had about paying late fees or penalties if I forgot to pay on time, had an inability to send it in for any reason, or simply wanted a month off in case a repair came along or a tenant left and I had to fix up the property for the next occupant and wanted extra cash to buffer reserves and cover expenses.

So I decided NOT to skip next month’s payment and continued making them as regularly scheduled. From that point forward I was always one month ahead on my payments.

Until later when I thought to myself it might be nice to stop paying the mortgage completely over a much longer period of time if I wanted to.

I began to notice many little hidden pain points involved when it came to mortgages on investment properties since in theory, and assuming you buy them correctly, they cover all the usual expenses and leave a surplus over to build up your reserves. Maybe it was the initial avalanche of terrifying documentation I faced to get the loan. Maybe it was the fact that those awkward legal-sized pages overflowed with official seals, government certifications, and a liberal amount of scary legal jargon that got me nervous and clearly meant if I ever got behind, I could almost certainly count on finding myself locked in some kind of mortgage prison they send real estate investors to who don’t make payments on time.

Finding myself one month ahead on my mortgage had become good mental headspace when it came to managing the anxieties of rentals and reliably took a considerable amount of solid fear off the table whether that fear was rational and justified or not. It’s one thing to talk yourself into something logically when it makes perfect sense on paper, but it’s quite another to convince yourself emotionally of the same thing. It’s almost like that part of your brain doesn’t work or much less consider the logic behind precision failsafe engineering. I definitely know from my own experience with anxiety that it never bothers looking at charts or tables to help reduce the feelings of exposure to potential risks. It’s like it has a mind of its own and decides what to do without consulting you first.

As research coming in from behavioral economists nowadays tells us we make purchasing decisions based almost entirely on our emotional temperament, looking into figuring out ways to set myself up through a more irrational lens of stress and fear instead of practical reasoned data started to make a little more sense. Since I never liked the idea of the automatic payment feature my bank offered, I thought pre-paying my mortgage might be the better solution and worth trying out if only to see what would happen. Besides, what if something went wrong with autopay and the bank ended up missing a payment? Computers and technology sometimes become wildly unpredictable, and if you’re smart you still make sure they do exactly what they were programmed for and never forget the importance of trust and verify.

I swore I would set up autopay once my reserves reached a comfortable level, but then I never turned it on. I suppose I liked hitting the “pay my loan” button on my banking app and the feeling of controlling the money flows in and out of the account. There was also something about making payments manually that kept me connected to the property as I watched the principal amount I paid every month increase slightly while the interest amount went down.

The more I thought about it, the more I reasoned that if putting myself one month ahead on my mortgage did as well for the quality of my sleep as it had, then surly putting myself TWO months ahead would be twice as good…or so I thought. It was a working theory, and one I also decided to try out since I had nothing to lose. Making extra payments became a simple and completely safe exercise because at any point I could bring myself back to even, so I made another extra payment without thinking about it too much, this time deliberately, and found myself two whole months ahead of schedule.

That’s when something else happened I wasn’t really expecting.

I completely forgot to worry about making a mortgage payment or cared whether a tenant moved out or not. Putting myself two months ahead more than covered any payment gaps long enough to fix the property and get it back on the market if rentals stopped coming in. Since my reserves were already at a comfortable level, I found making extra mortgage payments every few months didn’t affect the cash position, so I treated the whole process as if I had incurred a large repair bill that month which reduced the cash flow.

With rentals, every now and again a month would come along where I had to cover several repairs and it might take one or two months before I saw positive cash flow again. That always became difficult to watch as my bank account stagnated or even went down. In the case of making extra mortgage payments, I still knew I had the money benefiting me for any future problems that might come along and would provide a wider safety net if my property for some reason stopped producing income for a longer period of time. Since the money wasn’t visible in my account any longer, it was almost the same thing as having a “get out of jail free” card I could always play if I absolutely had to.

From there, making a third extra payment became extremely easy. In fact, the only problem I had was with the bank since this time they applied the entire amount towards the principal. Once I realized what had happened, I called the mortgage department and asked the rep to add it fully to an extra mortgage payment, something they were able to do by swapping out a code that told the computer to apply excess money to the principal, but not before asking why I wanted to make extra mortgage payments at all. The rep seemed confused by my request and wanted to double-check she understood my request correctly.

I explained I was trying something out as a kind of mortgage hack and wanted to build a backwards emergency fund. If at any point I needed cash or didn’t want to make a mortgage payment for the month, it would give me that flexibility, something I was curious to see whether I thought it would be a good idea or not. The mortgage rep listened, said it was an interesting plan she had not heard of before, and gladly initiated the code swap I needed into the computer.

Okay, great, so now I was three months ahead on my payments. It honestly felt incredibly comfortable, maybe a little overly comfortable, which I didn’t mind and didn’t care that the extra cash wasn’t sitting in my bank account.

But then after more time passed, I began to think about the three month position I was in and how it didn’t take much effort to get there. At the time of this experiment I was fortunate enough that I didn’t really need the monthly rentals for anything other than boosting my savings, so I thought I might as well get myself all the way to six months if only to see what other discoveries I could make along the way.

In the extreme case where I needed or wanted a whole six months of using the full rental amounts that came in, I would have given myself the ability to access that money without any repercussions. It’s true I didn’t have the cash stockpiled in a bank account somewhere, but I did have an option to stop paying the mortgage on top of utilizing my reserves, something I largely forgot about once the extra payments were in place. Since I had a few months of expenses saved for emergencies, I looked at the future mortgage payments as an emergency account to my already existing emergency account, or a kind of belts and suspenders preventative layer I could always employ if needed. Yes, I completely agree it’s overkill, I know, but I also can’t deny it felt good to have all those payments done—in fact, it made the whole pursuit worthwhile.

If I found myself without a job like a lot of people are suddenly finding themselves confronting today, and with no income to pay my way in the world, I knew I could always fall back on the emergency account I held in cash and wouldn’t have to worry about making mortgage payments for a long time if I needed to divert that money towards any number of unexpected expenses that popped up. It was a nice way to supercharge my monthly cash flow over a longer stretch of time which would give me an entire six months towards finding another solution for replacing my W-2 income and returning to regular stable employment.

It would also allow me to move easily from one city to another even if I was jobless. It would provide enough time to move my stuff and get settled into a new living situation, acclimate to the unfamiliar location, and begin looking for a job without fighting the inevitable panic of running out of money and being forced to spend a toxic wasteland of high-interest credit card debt.

It also padded the runway for me to check off any number of items on my dream list if I wanted to go after those, including traveling to Australia for a few months or maybe taking several side adventures such as exploring Belize, Mexico, Europe, or traveling around the US to visit friends. If I was feeling more ambitious, it allowed me to stop working and focus 100% of my time on writing a book, or maybe getting healthy if I became too burnt out from the usual non-stop adrenaline and cortisol-fueled American corporate work schedule. It gave me several options I didn’t have otherwise, but most of all my stress levels in owning investment property and what potentially could go wrong with them became almost completely non-existent.

Sure, just like a placebo, pre-paying my mortgage could end up as a pointless “financial sugar pill,” but at the end of the day I didn’t care. Even clinical trials of new drugs are always run against placebos because placebos seem to cure many illnesses by tapping into the body’s natural ability to believe it can heal itself, so why not pre-pay a mortgage? If it provides a benefit, placebo effect or not, why not use this advantage for all it’s worth? Like I said, I wasn’t interested in raw data or following traditional financial advice from Wall Street pundits about paying my mortgage only when it was due. By all accounts, pre-paying a mortgage should not have worked as well as it did, and yet it was one of the best things I managed to accomplish even though it began purely by accident. Arguably it was a bad idea, but I kept going to see how far I could take it and found there was a whole other side to this regardless of whether it was a good decision or bad decision or even made a whole lot of sense. I didn’t miss the money and could always reverse course if I felt it wasn’t worth it any longer. It gave me flexibility against corporate downsizing if I happened to get caught in a crossfire of layoffs, if I wanted to take some time off to go find another job, or if I wanted to move to another far off location. I knew I had a key ingredient in place with my pre-paid mortgage that I could tap into whenever I liked, but most of all the biggest benefit was the boost in good quality sleep I got. It made a big difference. Good sleep keeps you healthy, happy, and maintains your body’s natural weight set point, and for me there’s nothing worse than being unfit and tired all day long.

Besides, it always felt good to look at my bank account online and see my next mortgage payment wasn’t due until sometime well into the following year. I know arguably this is not a good idea, but once I was on the other side and no longer worried about whatever return that money could otherwise have generated in some random financial vehicle to measure it against, especially when I pretended the money didn’t exist in any tangible way, that extra emergency account is something I know I will repeat with all future longterm mortgages I happen to acquire.

I don’t know if I would necessarily crank it all the way up to six full months again unless over time I felt I had enough excess cash in my reserves that it wouldn’t matter if occasionally I bumped up my pre-payments by a month. Either way, I would still consider putting myself at least two or three months ahead on my payments in general. That seems to be the sweet spot and where stress dissolves completely to create a comfortable financial buffer. Mostly it’s all about maintaining a high level of good quality sleep every day and what I would measure my results against. As the economy shifts and my own personal finances and personal economics change over time, I know my priorities will adjust and I can see where a six month buffer might become warranted. If I start waking up at 3am on regular occasions, I might consider taking it up to that higher level, but as long as I keep the stress levels with mortgages within at a tolerable threshold, I don’t really care how many months I pre-pay.

When times are good, I’ve always found it was more than worthwhile to give myself a little space for a day when storm clouds started to gather far in the distance. Overall, I would say having enough in reserves, whatever that number is for you, probably is the most important priority, but I’ll also tell you it’s awfully nice to find yourself ahead of your payment schedule even if it’s just by one month.

And if you do end up playing around with the idea of making extra mortgage payments, I hope you get the best possible sleep you can and have the same experience with it as I did. From that one initial blunder of paying my mortgage twice, at the very least you now have one more tool you can use if you want to give yourself an additional layer of security in case something comes up you’d like to fortify against—or maybe just drop everything you’re doing and go live out a couple of those unrealized dreams spinning around inside your head.

I honestly can’t recommend making extra mortgage payments enough if only for the peace of mind it brings, and with little to no risk in trying this idea, if it doesn’t pan out and you’re still tossing and turning at night, at least you gave it a shot to find out what would happen.

But I think more than likely you’ll be very pleased with the results you get as I was. Maybe your peaceful dreams will reveal how to acquire more investment properties and grow your cash flow, or even how to orchestrate any number of future wealth building strategies you’ve been mulling over.

Still, if that doesn’t work and pre-paying your mortgage doesn’t improve the quality of your sleep, my suggestion is to drink one non-alcoholic beer sometime during the evening. Hops, it turns out, is an excellent natural sleep inducer, but alcohol often cancels out those benefits. With non-alcoholic beer you’ll get the powerful effects of the hops without the liability of the alcohol…and with that, come to think of it, I imagine pre-paying your mortgage AND drinking non-alcoholic beer might just possibly be the best combination for sleep you’ll ever find hands down. Next time I find myself ahead on mortgage payments, I know I’ll have to try out both just to see what happens.

6Reply
140 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
5y

After all is said and done, | hope the rejuvenated state of mind was worth it.  Financially, you just stepped over thousands of dollars, to pick up a dime.

See this reply in the discussion

75 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y

    After all is said and done, | hope the rejuvenated state of mind was worth it.  Financially, you just stepped over thousands of dollars, to pick up a dime.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    Quite. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Scott Benton I confess my eyes glazed over somewhere around the 19th paragraph, but I saw one false assumption. They don’t let you “take a break” if you do an extra principal payment, next one due next month as usual. Maybe you have it set up differently but that would be unusual to say the least.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan R McLaughlin, I checked. They did.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    TLDR - I think paying off my mortgage at a low rate is a better return than I can get investing my money otherwise?

    aka the Dave Ramsey approach to debt.

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    "Too long, didn't read" summary: 
    Guy sleeps better when he pays his mortgage ahead of time. 

    Hats off to you @Scott Benton, but I don't think most are in the position to be able to do this, especially in COVID times. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Steve Morris TLDR — Sounds like you already know what you want to do.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Filipe Pereira — Some are.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 121 votes
    5y

    Interesting write up. Saw your other post on Recasting. I think its cool that you think of uncommon / not highly discussed topics and share them on the forums 

    I think the phrase you used "backwards emergency fund" sounds very fitting in this case. Many people would rather have their emergency fund in their bank account, than trapped in a prepaid mortgage payment

    Peace of mind from being one payment ahead is understandable, I have done this myself in the past, it provides a buffer in the event there is an auto pay issue or human error if manually paying. I don't think I would feel any better being more than one payment ahead since I know the opportunity cost of locking the $ into prepayment, versus using the $ for additional investments that would yield more than the mortgage interest rate (Dave Ramsey approach as noted by @Steve Morris)

    I'm thinking of the time value of money and the opportunity cost of fronting thousands of dollars on mortgage payments months in advance when the only tangible benefit received is seeing the "next payment due" date get pushed farther out online while bank account balance decreases. I get the peace of mind / better sleep ideology of being a payment ahead, but how much better can the sleep and peace of mind get after 2,3,4,5,6 prepayments

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Bradley Padula. I appreciate your thoughtful feedback. Yes, that is my intention. I guess you could say I'm throwing out any and all assumptions and forging ahead anyway even if I already know the plusses and minuses from the tons books I've read and podcasts I've listened to. I do know the Dave Ramsey work fairly well and have pretty much read all of his books (maybe one or two I missed since they become repetitive and I don't like his investing and retirement fund philosophies). From those I reworked a lot of how I set up my own finances and emergency funds based on TOTAL MONEY MAKEOVER, but I also wanted to see what would happen when you throw out all the rules and ideas you've drilled into your mind over the years, and in a sense unlearn everything you've learned if only to find out what would happen if you colored outside the lines. Maybe there's some value there, I don't know, but I wanted to see what I could discover which I will continue to do in the future. Plus, I wanted to take the idea of mortgages, deconstruct them, do everything they tell you not to do, and see what else I could figure out with them if anything. So far I have found a few areas that looked interesting and wanted to write about them from my own firsthand account. I didn't think I would have anything to really say if it was just theory. I wanted to have done what I'm talking about first and see how I felt about them—not just analyze how much money they made or lost—so I tried out pre-payment and recasting and a couple of other things I may write up and post regardless of conventional wisdom and pushback which for the sake of these explorations I want to ignore. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    Of course they were confused when you called and asked your extra payment to applied to interest instead of principal pay down. Six months worth of payments could save you thousands of dollars over the life of the loan and allow you to pay it off early. I wouldn't sleep good at night knowing I was prepaying interest. 

    And more importantly, why don't you use autopay for bills? 

    Thinking outside the box can be a good thing, but you have to think things through, not just randomly try things. Putting your hand on a hot stove top defies conventional wisdom and also results in severe burns. Nobody needs to try it just to see what happens. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Joe Splitrock — I imagine we are pretty different people in many of the approaches we take in several areas. I welcome all diversity and would like to see more of it if only to learn as much as possible and see several persepctives on an issue. Much luck and good fortunes with your own investing journey. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steve Morris:

    TLDR - I think paying off my mortgage at a low rate is a better return than I can get investing my money otherwise?

    aka the Dave Ramsey approach to debt.

     If the property has positive cash flow, then you're not the one paying off the mortgage...the tenant is.  Any money you add to it out of pocket is just adding to your cost...voluntarily.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Joe Villeneuve — Yes! Unless of course you're only using money from your reserves that came from your property. For my pre-payment experiment, I was good either way and did not care about the opportunity cost. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott Benton:

    @Joe Villeneuve — Yes! Unless of course you're only using money from your reserves that came from your property. For my pre-payment experiment, I was good either way and did not care about the opportunity cost. 

     It doesn't matter where the cash comes from, as long as it comes from you.  It's still just adding cost, and not saving money.  Even if you don't care about the opportunity cost (I'm trying to figure this one out).

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott Benton:

    @Filipe Pereira — Some are.

    Agree. Pre-paying and recasting aren't for everybody, but what is?  I'm not here to be average.

    I read most of your post, Scott, and I like what it does for you.  Serenity and financial peace aren't easy to attain when you owe. 

    I kind of do the same, but with a twist.  I hone in on one mortgage like a nagging commercial or privately held. Seller-financed,  etc loan with higher rates and risk than average. I build up a fat pile of cash and punch it in the face with all I got. $37k chunks usually. It eventually goes away and pile up faster like a snowball, honing in on it's next victim.

    I'll have another mortgage burning party Feb 5th.  This is an old hospital turned apt building.  I used to have to report my financials to them every year for committee review. Odd property commercial loan. 

    Other long-term fixed rate resi mortgages aren't on my radar yet, but I can see how paying ahead reduces the emotional capital owning someone requires. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Joe Villeneuve — Well, previously you said, "If the property has positive cash flow, then you're not the one paying off the mortgage...the tenant is." By that definition, there is a difference between where the money is coming from. If it's coming from the tenant, then you are saying THEY are paying the mortgage. I agree with you. In my case, I had THEM also make a few extra mortgage payments for me so that I was ahead of schedule. By that definition, nothing came out of my own pocket. I just used the money differently than usual such as how you will typically increase reserves, make repairs, save for cap X, or spend on yourself. 

    If you now change that assumption and instead lump ALL income I have together into one pile regardless of where it comes from and call everything MY money, then yes, you are absolutely 100% right. I paid for it out of my own pocket. But again, I did not care what it would cost me. I was more interested in how I felt about it and whether there were any other benefits I would discover as a result of making pre-payments. As I wrote in my article, I found a lot of benefits that did not include making money or increasing your net worth and probably included an opportunity loss. I thought it was still worth it and would do it again. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Steve Vaughan — I absolutely love what you do and that you zero in on paying down mortgages like a laser. You are entirely correct that these ideas are not for everyone. I didn't even think they were for me either, but I tried them anyway, and found recasting and pre-payments to be very helpful the minute I stopped thinking about what a certain pile of money would make in the VTSAX for instance if you follow the FIRE Movement. In a climate where interest is basically zero or negative if you include inflation right now, I want to look around for other ideas, turn over a few rocks, explore some rabbit holes, and see if there are benefits I was missing. Retiring mortgages has both good and bad aspects to them as does being highly leveraged as we saw in 2008. I'm not saying I have the answers, I'm just saying I'm trying out a few things since my money really won't make anything in a savings account or even necessarily invested in the stock market. If it was the 1990s where you got a decent return on cash in the bank, I may not have thought to try these ideas out. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott Benton:

    @Joe Villeneuve — Well, previously you said, "If the property has positive cash flow, then you're not the one paying off the mortgage...the tenant is." By that definition, there is a difference between where the money is coming from. If it's coming from the tenant, then you are saying THEY are paying the mortgage. I agree with you. In my case, I had THEM also make a few extra mortgage payments for me so that I was ahead of schedule. By that definition, nothing came out of my own pocket. I just used the money differently than usual such as how you will typically increase reserves, make repairs, save for cap X, or spend on yourself. 

    If you now change that assumption and instead lump ALL income I have together into one pile regardless of where it comes from and call everything MY money, then yes, you are absolutely 100% right. I paid for it out of my own pocket. But again, I did not care what it would cost me. I was more interested in how I felt about it and whether there were any other benefits I would discover as a result of making pre-payments. As I wrote in my article, I found a lot of benefits that did not include making money or increasing your net worth and probably included an opportunity loss. I thought it was still worth it and would do it again. 

     No, the tenant pays all of the expenses, including the mortgage.  What's left from the rent, all of what's left, is your money.  When you use that money, you are using your money...not the tenant's.

    You're not increasing your net worth...you're paying for it.  The added equity is the same money that was in your bank account.  All you did was move it from a liquid state, that could get you multiple uses and returns, to a dormant state, that gets you only one return.

    ...and like I said in my first post, I hope all those benefits were worth it to you, because it cost you thousands and thousands of dollars more than what it should have.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Joe Villeneuve — Sure, you could look at it that way if you choose. I don't. And now we are back to where we started. Sounds like we have different priorities. I'm glad. I would not like to live in a world where everyone had the same goals and I embrace the differences. 

  • Steve O.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    @Joe Villeneuve vrooom....... did you see that?

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    @Scott Benton thank you for your insight. I appreciate the thoughtful write up! But more than anything I appreciate the info on the Non-Alcoholic Beer. I understand that sometimes, although it should be all the time, our inner peace is priceless and if going against conditional wisdom gets you there, Kudos to you. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @JC Rodriguez — You will not believe the non-alcoholic beer life hack. It’s really amazing. It turns out there’s a reason God invented non-alcoholic beer after all. It has a purpose.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    @Joe Villeneuve I’d agree with you here!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Does BP keep records on the longest post? This has to be up there, no? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.